Solved

Country of residence/traveling home

• 6 November 2022
  • 7 replies

Hi to all of you!

Some context first: I’m Sam, and currently spending an Erasmus semester abroad in the UK, my country of residence/home country is Germany though. I flew to the UK to get here, but since this was stressful and is also quite expensive (and damaging to the environment as well as a hassle to bring all my luggage with me), I’ve been looking into alternatives to get home, which is why I’m strongly considering Interrail.

But, I’ve ran into problem/question I haven’t been able to truly answer.

As I’m from Germany, but am currently in the UK, I’m a little confused about the “country of residence”. To outline my problem/questions:

1. I plan on going back to Germany shortly before Christmas
  2. I then plan to return to the UK in early January
  3. Before I travel back to Germany at the end of January (for which I plan to travel to the border, or e.g., Amsterdam and then get a separate ticket back home to Germany)

My Questions are:

• As I am a German citizen, is my country of residence Germany?
  • Does this mean I would have used the trips in and out of my home country with trip 1 and 2?
  • And would this whole idea even be possible with an Interrail pass?

If you could maybe answer my questions, I’d be very thankful!

Cheers,

Sam

icon

Best answer by Yorkie 6 November 2022, 19:02

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

In the simplest way, the 2 in/out days are simply 2 of your travel days where you can use your pass in your home country. So there is no problem using it twice to get to or from Germany, nor any problem getting to or from the border at your own expense once you have planned your 2 journeys.

The days are optional, can be used in conjunction with other trains on the same day in any country in the scheme and managed by the app so you cannot use extra.

So, if I use one of them to get to Germany and then one to get back to the UK (as in both cases I would have used one day to travel inside of Germany), I would need one extra ticket for travel in Germany, like I wrote?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

If you live in the UK, then the UK is your country of residence. Do you have any proof of your residency in the UK?

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

So, if I use one of them to get to Germany and then one to get back to the UK (as in both cases I would have used one day to travel inside of Germany), I would need one extra ticket for travel in Germany, like I wrote?

Yes.

If you live in the UK, then the UK is your country of residence. Do you have any proof of your residency in the UK?

I only have a contract for my apartment here, I don’t have a visa, since I’m only here for 4 months, so I’m not sure if the UK qualifies as my country of residence

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Du KANNst GB als HOmesitz nutzen NUR wenn du dazu überzeugender Akten zeigen kannst falls du genau sehr kontrolliert wird in DE-DB hat ja auch besondere Prüfgruppen, die alles kennen und sehr deutsch-überpünktlich Regeln kennen.

Aber viel wirst du das hier nicht helfen, denn dann musst du in GB 1x zuzahlen-und das wird bestimmt noch mehr kosten.

Je nach dein Wohnort (im Moment sitze ich selber in Düsseldorf, meine 3 Monatspass ist nu nahe zu am Ende) und wie du ab GB fahren willst (€*, Faehre) und dann welcher Route zum Heim: bestimmt kannst du das schon eher festlegen und eine (Super)Sparpreis buchen-die sind meist noch billiger als Vollpreis ab grenzpunkt (was an sich auch nur mit grosse Strapatzen geht), zb an AMS-oder Arnhem(letzter Halt der ICE IN NL). EC-Berlin haelt noch in Hengelo.

Aber falls du in NRW im VRR wohnst-das geht ab Arnhem oder Venlo mit VRR-bloss dort am Automaten kaufen. Oder in NieSa; im eurobahn ab Hengelo gibt es das Nie-Sa ticket, oder im voraus online/im app.

Jedoch: GlobalPass gibt es nur ab 4 reisetage. Mit sehr viel Gepäck-und wieder je nach ort (auch in GB)-oft ist dann eine BUS eigenlich bequemer-du ladst in und erst am Ziel wieder raus. FLIX oder BlaBla. Mit Zug-Boot-Zug usw. hast du sehr viel mehr zu schleppen, und auch noch viel längere Abstände. UNd Busse haben sogar weniger Umwelt-impakt als eben Zug- pro Reisende

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I only have a contract for my apartment here, I don’t have a visa, since I’m only here for 4 months, so I’m not sure if the UK qualifies as my country of residence

OK. 

As you will be going home for Christmas you should check availability and maybe also make the reservation for the Eurostar before you buy your Interrail pass. Pass holder seats on popular departures tend to sell out well in advance.

Check availability here:

https://www.b-europe.com/EN/Booking/Pass#TravelWish