Solved

country of residence vs home country

• 18 September 2022
  • 3 replies

Good morning beautiful community,

I have never bought Interrail before so I am a little bit unsure about one specific condition: traveling within home country. Specifically I live ( and also work) in Berlin, where I am OFFICIALLY REGISTERED. However my home country is Italy and on my ID card my home address is the one of my home town ( this is because in Italy you can change your home address for the foreign one only if you join the register of Italians living abroad). I was wondering if I can travel from Germany ( country of actual residence , where I m officially registered) to Italy ( home country , where I am residence for the Italian government as my Italian address is on my ID.). I would have liked to use Interrail for the following route: Berlin-Milan Milan-Calabria, then back, maybe through another city. 

I am talking about the GLOBAL PASS

thank you very much!

icon

Best answer by mcadv 18 September 2022, 11:59

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

If you can prove you live in Germany, then you should be fine.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

As long as you have official documentation from the German authorities showing a German address (ideally the one you use for your Global Pass) then your country of residence (Your home country) is Germany. Obviously you can then only use the pass for 2 days in Germany.

Your passport or ID number is still a valid form of ID to match with your pass but if asked (unlikely) just show your German document with your name and address.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Ciao. In fact this is in theory only di importanza (as I am currently on Sicilia) if you travel a lot in Italia (f.e. per il famiglia!) and you are challenged/checked by inspectors. In all other countries it does not matter. On a 3-monthpass now on day 36 yesterday-and yes, here in Sicilia, I was only asked first time to also show ID yesterday-by a still rather new on the job and more interested to see himself how it all works, inspettore dalle TrenItalia.

Remarkably here in Sicilia all the inspettore speak fairly good inglese and they all know perfectly on what to look for.