DB Bahn reservation rules

• 11 February 2023
  • 4 replies

Dear mermbers,

While trying to make a reservation from Berlin to copenhagen with Seat only (no ticket), in DB Bahn site, it mention the following information.

Could you please tell me know what does it mean ? 

Is EURAIL not concerned and cannot make reservation ?

......................quotation ................…

What important things should I know about seat reservations?

When is a reservation included in my ticket free of charge?

Integrated seat reservation cannot be provided for offers that are not based on a timetable (e.g. RIT or Rail&Fly, Good for Train, Interrail, Eurail, etc.).ICE Sprinter and night train services are also not included.

...........End....................…

Thank you

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

You can make reservation on this connection. You just might need to split your journey in two, when reserving. Berlin-Hamburg and Hamburg - Copenhagen. 

For Berlin-Hamburg seat reservations are only optional, so not really needed. You can just board any train you want and find a free seat. 

All steps for the reservation of the Hamburg-Copenhagen trains are to be found in the link below:

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

You can make reservation on this connection. You just might need to split your journey in two, when reserving. Berlin-Hamburg and Hamburg - Copenhagen. 

For Berlin-Hamburg seat reservations are only optional, so not really needed. You can just board any train you want and find a free seat. 

All steps for the reservation of the Hamburg-Copenhagen trains are to be found in the link below:

@Braian Cuiña @BrendanDB Only in Summer there is a compulsory reservation for trains Hamburg-Copenhagen. If you don't travel in Summer you can reserve this routw directly by bahn.de online. You pay for the hole journey a reservation cost of 4,50€ in second class. Reservation is not compulsory, but reccomended on the trains to Copenhagen.

Userlevel 4
Badge +4
......................quotation ................…

What important things should I know about seat reservations?

When is a reservation included in my ticket free of charge?

Integrated seat reservation cannot be provided for offers that are not based on a timetable (e.g. RIT or Rail&Fly, Good for Train, Interrail, Eurail, etc.).ICE Sprinter and night train ervices are also not included.

...........End....................…

I booked a number of trains together with one change in Netherlands, through Germany with 2 changes and on to Copenhagen on the DB site yesterday with the seat-only option on the DB website so it’s possible alright.  There was only one booking fee - I think it was €5.50 - for all the trains combined.

If it will book somewhere in NL to Hamburg to Copenhagen this way, then I’m sure the DB site will be able to handle Berlin-Hamburg-Copenhagen as well.

Have a look here for how to book this type of reservation on bahn.de.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Yes 5,90€ is it for first class.

If you book via Interrail.eu or other companies, you pay for every train the reservation.

Via Interrail is it very expensive:

6€+2€ booking fee = 8€/seat/train