Skip to main content

I bought this Global Pass and activated it so i can book seats if needed. I am surprised that i have to pay in order to book a seat? 

is this normal? 

Yes seat reservations cost extra. Sometimes they're required, often they're optional/not available. Sometimes they're cheap, sometimes they're expensive.

Highly depends on where you're travelling. Spain, France and Italy have the most reservations. On the other hand the UK, Switzerland, Germany and Austria are paradise. :)

There are usually slower alternatives: cheaper or reservation-free. Feel free to ask!

Have a look at this guide: https://www.seat61.com/interrail-and-eurail-reservations.htm

About your journey:

- London - Paris or Lille: 30€ mandatory reservation, there's a passholder quota too. Eurostar is the most annoying company, pretty much without alternatives from London. Once you pass the Channel it will be easier, don't worry.

- Paris or Lille - Lyon: 10€ limited fare, increasing to 20€ until the train sells out.

What's the travel date? We'll gladly help if Eurostar is sold out...

Yes seat reservations cost extra. Sometimes they're required, often they're optional/not available. Sometimes they're cheap, sometimes they're expensive.

Highly depends on where you're travelling. Spain, France and Italy have the most reservations. On the other hand the UK, Switzerland, Germany and Austria are paradise. :)

There are usually slower alternatives: cheaper or reservation-free. Feel free to ask!

Have a look at this guide: https://www.seat61.com/interrail-and-eurail-reservations.htm

About your journey:

- London - Paris or Lille: 30€ mandatory reservation, there's a passholder quota too. Eurostar is the most annoying company, pretty much without alternatives from London. Once you pass the Channel it will be easier, don't worry.

- Paris or Lille - Lyon: 10€ limited fare, increasing to 20€ until the train sells out.

What's the travel date? We'll gladly help if Eurostar is sold out...

@thibcabe 

Ahhhh that makes sense now! At once, I thought I made a mistake regarding to global pass. Thank you so much for the clarification! My travel date is 3rd of September, ideally very early so I can get to Lyon around midday or early afternoon and have a quick walk around. At the moment, there is some reservations left, I will book them as soon as possible! I am glad to hear that Austria, Switzerland and Germany are paradise as I will be visiting there as well, thankfully! 

Thank you very much for your help! 

@lukey0071 

And I add that Eurostar reservations are not refundable and only exchangeable with a fee.

Reservations in France are refundable before and after 30 minutes of departure time free of charge, reservations in Italy are also refundable (with a fee and only from 10 €).

@Danhiel 

Thank you for telling me this, I was slightly worried about the change of train before arriving in Lyon, France. So, this information is really useful to know!! thank you so much! 

Rare French W lol 

@lukey0071

To be complete, reservations are also exchangeable on the vending machines of the SNCF, it could be easier as on the site of the vendor when you travel, but, after this, they are no more refundable. I would only make it for last minute changes and when you are sure to take the new train.

You can also buy Interrail reservations on the vending machines. It is perhaps possible to import them in the SNCF Connect app and make changes later in this app, but I’m not sure. I will test this option during my next journey in France.