Skip to main content

Hello everyone,

I realized there are many similar threads regarding the inbound/outbound topic, but none really exactly answering my question. My country of residence is Switzerland. If I want to take a night train going from Dresden (Germany) to Zurich (Switzerland), and Zurich being the final destination (no further connections on the arrival day), does that still count as an inbound journey? Or am I able to save my outbound/inbound day for another trip?

(Also when I try to book this trip on the nightjet or oebb website, it always gives me a “Reservation error (NJ-Code: NJ-02, TS-Code: WBS08093...)” before the payment page! I refreshed it over two days and there are still seats available. Not sure why but I will probably have to call them, is that correct? 😞 )

Thank you all in advance!

Yes, that will count as an inbound/outbound day.

For that error, first thing would be to use a different device or browser as these can often be caused by something on your end.

If you say which day you are looking at then someone here can check the reservation.

Also try booking on nightjet.com.

Yes, that will count as an inbound/outbound day.

For that error, first thing would be to use a different device or browser as these can often be caused by something on your end.

If you say which day you are looking at then someone here can check the reservation.

Thank you! I am planning to travel on Aug 19 from Dresden (20:42) arriving on the 20th in Zurich at 9:05. I booked other legs of my trip on night jet.com without any issues, unfortunately it was just this train that I’m receiving the error for. I’ll try another browser later today.

Another question; If I only enter Switzerland after midnight, then would it count as: 1 travel day (19th) + 1 inbound (20th) = 2 travel days, or just 1 inbound travel day (19th when I boarded the train)? 

Thank you! I am planning to travel on Aug 19 from Dresden (20:42) arriving on the 20th in Zurich at 9:05. I booked other legs of my trip on night jet.com without any issues, unfortunately it was just this train that I’m receiving the error for. I’ll try another browser later today.

On nightjet.com I can get to the payment page when I try to book 1 couchette.

Another question; If I only enter Switzerland after midnight, then would it count as: 1 travel day (19th) + 1 inbound (20th) = 2 travel days, or just 1 inbound travel day (19th when I boarded the train)? 

It doesn't matter when you enter Switzerland. If you board 1 train, it's only 1 travel day, on the day you board it. The inbound journey is linked to that travel day and does not have its own date. Only if you'd need to travel further into Switzerland, it would be 2 travel days, and you'd have to split the night train journey in Basel Bad. Bf or a bit earlier, so that the inbound journey would be linked to the 2nd travel day.

On nightjet.com I can get to the payment page when I try to book 1 couchette.

It doesn't matter when you enter Switzerland. If you board 1 train, it's only 1 travel day, on the day you board it. The inbound journey is linked to that travel day and does not have its own date. Only if you'd need to travel further into Switzerland, it would be 2 travel days, and you'd have to split the night train journey in Basel Bad. Bf or a bit earlier, so that the inbound journey would be linked to the 2nd travel day.

Perfect, thank you for the detailed answers! I appreciate all the help. It seems like only the sleeping cabin option brings up the Reservation Error, so I will work around that 😊

Perfect, thank you for the detailed answers! I appreciate all the help. It seems like only the sleeping cabin option brings up the Reservation Error, so I will work around that 😊

On nightjet.com, I can also get to the payment page with a sleeper, but only as a woman. For a man, there's an error. There's possibly only a sleeper left for women (so it's almost full).