Solved

Does Premium Shipping apply to the Eurail Global Pass?

• 22 August 2022
  • 9 replies

I am intending on heading to Rome on August 30th and was hoping to get a 7-day in one month Global Pass shipped to my address in Chicago before then.  However, I came upon a problem: they don't show an option for premium shipping.  I really want the pass to arrive within 8 days, but I am not sure what to do, as the alternative does not allow shipping until October.  I am planning on using the physical pass starting in early December.  Please advise!!

icon

Best answer by mcadv 22 August 2022, 05:48

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

You can buy a paper pass on several locations in Europe. To which airport will you be flying?

I am flying to Fiumicino Airport in Rome.  I heard there were extra costs for buying a pass in Europe; how much extra € is it usually?

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

I don’t understand the first post, you want a pass for 30 August so what has December got to do with it?

You certainly won’t get a paper pass shipped from eurail in less than a week.

I want to have the pass before I leave for Europe in eight days (from Monday).  Premium shipping would accomplish that AFAIK.  I heard the Italian Post was sometimes unreliable, so I want to know if there is any possibility of purchasing a pass in time for my departure (to Rome) on the 30th.  If not, I would like to know the best alternative options, which could be accomplished anytime before December.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

If you INsist on a paper pass: there are also still a very few private agencies who can arrange this. There was also a very recent question on this in the /en/ forum railforums.co.uk (International section) by someone from HongKong. In Germany-and probably also still in the neighbour german speaking Austria and Swiss it should also still be possible-on the spot-in major stations. And most likely there will still also be agencies in the US that will give premium service for extra-premium prices.

Note that old-style paper passes must have th dates valid from-to printed on them when buying (this apparently does not seem to apply to some forms sold old-style far away from EUR. It does not seem to be anymore that also higher prices apply-and if yes, these are admin. fees, and probably still lower as the extra cost for premium shipping.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

It is possible that Trenitalia also sell Eurail passes at some locations. They sell Interrail passes at Fiumicino airport, so they could also sell Eurail there.

I appreciate the responses thus far!!  As a result, I’m leaning towards purchasing the pass while in Europe.  Is there anyone who has experience buying Eurail passes in Italy?  If not, where are some other popular places (i.e. train stations, specific cities) for purchasing such passes?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Every railway company have their own policy.

Since you'll be arriving in Italy, the best is probably to ask Trenitalia directly, e.g. via their Facebook page, at which ticket offices they sell the paper Eurail passes. I looked on their website but couldn't find any information about it.

Thank you!!  I will try contacting them on Facebook.