Solved

Eurail and Swisspass Comparison - Review my math

Badge
  • Keeps calm and carries on
  • 33 replies

I'm looking for guidance on whether I should get the Swiss pass or Eurail pass.

This will be for one adult and one 6 yo (she gets rides free)

Below is my itinerary.

Day 1 Paris to Geneva

Day 2 to Montreaux

(Golden Line pass)

Lucerne

Day 3 (Titlis)

Day 4 (Golden Round Trip)

Day 4 Zurich.

Based on my research, (All amounts in EUR)

1. Let's say Paris to Geneva costs $60 for 2 in advance.

2. Seat reservation of $30x2 Eurail

3. Both passes get me rides on the GoldenPass.

4. Titlis costs 129 w Eurail, 62 for SP

5. Golden roundtrip both have the same $41 surcharge.

I should factor what I'll assume to be small amounts for local trips on the tram/bus if I do not have the SP.

I  will need 3 days of the WP 257 and the minimum for Eurail is 4 days at 194 and

They both come about the same? $420 or so? Factor in local trips in Lucerne and Zurich, I probably should get the SP as it’s more convenient than scrambling for change to get tram tickets?

Not staying city center in Geneva, Lucerne.

Thanks

icon

Best answer by thibcabe 9 August 2023, 01:22

View original

31 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

The kid will travel for free everywhere (on trains, buses, boats, trams, cable cars,...) whether you choose the Swiss Half-fare card or Travel Pass.

To use the half-fare discount : you buy half-fare tickets on ticket machines, ticket counters or on sbb.ch/SBB app, at any point until boarding. It is really easy, don't worry. You show both the ticket and the half-fare whenever asked.

As you discovered half-fare is always the first price shown since millions of Swiss people have it.

On Day 3 when buying Lucerne - Engelberg "return" you'll get a 7 zones ticket valid for the whole day, including on Lucerne buses. No need to buy another ticket.

Maybe this link will help : https://www.seat61.com/train-travel-in-switzerland.htm

Badge

So I’m looking at the Saver day pass, wow I have to buy this way in advance and set the day that it will be used.

I actually just booked my return ticket to the US as a more desirable flight became available. I will now fly back from FRA. This will give me one extra day whether it be in Lucern, Zurich or FRA.

I will probably still travel to ZRH late day 4 and need to hang out in ZRH day 5 or a nearby day trip. The only issue w this is most trains to FRA route through Lucerne so there’s some back tracking. I”d have to leave from ZRH in the afternoon on Day 5 for my US flight from FRA (2pm day 6).

When I priced the train from ZRH to FRA I got a quote as low as 48CHF. Could I buy a day pass and use that to get to FRA (It’s in Germany)?

Hotel wise I’d prefer ZRH than Lucerne due to my Hyatt status.

4 day SP is 49CHF more which is the cost of the ticket vs Half Fare to FRA If I go day 5 than morning of day 6)

Looks like SP is the way to go despite it probably being slightly more expensive. Previously the math was SP 292 (60 for Titlis) vs the 277 math with 2 day passes 29x2 + Rigi 39 and 60 for Titlis.

This is a difference of 15.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Yes German advance tickets are quite cheap on bahn.com.

Please note that Basel Bad Bf is the border point, from there Saver Day Passes, half-fare or Travel Pass is not valid. Either you buy a ticket Zurich - Frankfurt Airport or Basel - Frankfurt Airport, usually both costing the same.

Trains from Zurich to Germany do not go through Lucerne.

Saver Day Passes are a great deal since yes you have to buy them in advance (otherwise the price goes up to 39, 49, 59 CHF) but you can then travel unlimited across the country. Your dates are fixed and you do not need to decide where you're going until you board the train.

Now you decide whatever you want/need.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

@AnnaB tourists get the Family Card (equivalent of the Junior Card) for free if they buy the Swiss Half-fare card (1 month for 120 CHF) or Swiss Travel Pass.

Thanks. I didn't realise that there were different conditions for the normal 1/2 tax Abo and the tourist 1 month 1/2 tax Abo when it comes to travelling with children. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@AnnaB tourists get the Family Card (equivalent of the Junior Card) for free if they buy the Swiss Half-fare card (1 month for 120 CHF) or Swiss Travel Pass.

Thanks. I didn't realise that there were different conditions for the normal 1/2 tax Abo and the tourist 1 month 1/2 tax Abo when it comes to travelling with children. 

Yeah it took me some time to get that...

Badge

oh oh, i misinterpreted. I thought the entire ride from ZRH to FRA was free. I think i’m overanalyzing…

thanks for your time.