Solved

Eurail Global Pass/BahnCard in Germany and Croatia

• 18 September 2023
  • 4 replies

Hi everyone, I’m new here, I’m a music student from Uruguay looking for some advice for my upcoming trip.

I’ll stay about a week in Croatia and a week in Germany, and maybe a few days in Austria and Czech Republic. I’m trying to understand what kind of pass or card would be the best option, and I have a few questions:

1. Does a Eurail Global Pass include local transport, for example inside one city or connecting smaller cities? When using the tripplaner map in eurail.com, the city of Freiberg is not recognized so I wonder if there’s no connection with that city included in the Pass.
  2. If the Global Pass includes local transportation, would you recommend getting it, considering that the majority of my train rides will be inside Germany and inside Croatia? Or would it be better to get a BahnCard and pay an extra when I travel between countries?
  3. Could I get a BahnCard and a 4day Global Pass, so that I use the BahnCard in Germany and the Pass for connections between different countries? Would you recommend that?
  4. I believe night trains would count as two travelling days for the Pass, if they start before midnight. Is that right?
  5. As for Croatia, Austria and Czech Republic local transport, what would you recommend I use?
  6. I’ve noticed there’s different apps to make reservations (and also payments?). Is there any one in particular that you would recommend?

Thank you in advance,

Ismael

icon

Best answer by ralderton 18 September 2023, 09:24

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

If you mean Freiburg south of Strasbourg, it shows as Freiburg (Breisgau) in the planner.

City transport (bus/ tram/ underground etc) is not included in the Eurail pass. But all other rail is, like regional - which is I think what you mean by ‘connecting smaller cities’.

You can also use the pass on S-bahn local trains in Austria and Germany. These are more like ‘commuter trains’ that make several stops within the city. It’s not really enough to get around a city properly, but can be useful if you’re just there for half a day.

Unfortunately, there isn’t one single app that can do all the reservations, but Seat61 has a very good guide. A lot of yours can be made with the via ÖBB (Austrian Railways).

If you mean Freiburg south of Strasbourg, it shows as Freiburg (Breisgau) in the planner.

City transport (bus/ tram/ underground etc) is not included in the Eurail pass. But all other rail is, like regional - which is I think what you mean by ‘connecting smaller cities’.

You can also use the pass on S-bahn local trains in Austria and Germany. These are more like ‘commuter trains’ that make several stops within the city. It’s not really enough to get around a city properly, but can be useful if you’re just there for half a day.

Unfortunately, there isn’t one single app that can do all the reservations, but Seat61 has a very good guide. A lot of yours can be made with the via ÖBB (Austrian Railways).

Thank you, I’ll check Seat61’s guide.

Actually I meant Freiberg (near Leipzig), so I imagine it’s not covered in the pass.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Yes, that shows as Freiberg (Sachs) in the planner, and it’s included.