Solved

Eurail Global Pass coverage

• 7 January 2024
  • 9 replies

We are going to to italy,france and switzerland and i need a guide what are the coverage of the global pass.

1. Naples, Itay - this where we land. 
    Naples > sorrento - ferry (i doubt it is included to the global pass. But let me know if it is) 
    sorrento > positano   - ferry (i doubt it is included to the global pass. But let me know if it is) 
    positano > Amalfi - ferry (i doubt it is included to the global pass. But let me know if it is)     

Then we will go back to naples. 

2. Rome,Italy - from naples going to rome, is this included to the global pass using train/bus/ferry?
  3. Paris,France - going to versailles and mount saint michel (is this inculded to the global pass)
  4. Switzerland - From Paris > Zurich (is this included to the global pass?). 
    From Zurich going to lucerne,grindelwald, zermatt etc… is included to the global pass

Appreciate your feedback

icon

Best answer by Hektor 7 January 2024, 08:03

View original

9 replies

We are going to to italy,france and switzerland and i need a guide what are the coverage of the global pass.

1. Naples, Itay - this where we land. 
    Naples > sorrento - ferry (i doubt it is included to the global pass. But let me know if it is) 
    sorrento > positano   - ferry (i doubt it is included to the global pass. But let me know if it is) 
    positano > Amalfi - ferry (i doubt it is included to the global pass. But let me know if it is)     

Then we will go back to naples. 

2. Rome,Italy - from naples going to rome, is this included to the global pass using train/bus/ferry?
  3. Paris,France - going to versailles and mount saint michel (is this inculded to the global pass)
  4. Switzerland - From Paris > Zurich (is this included to the global pass?). 
    From Zurich going to lucerne,grindelwald, zermatt etc… is included to the global pass

Appreciate your feedback

These ferries aren't included.

Trenitalia trains on this route are included. Mandatory reservation for long distance trains (to be paid for). Italy trains (other train company) aren't included. No bus or ferry.

Versailles: not included (3,20 €).

Mont St Michel has no station, the nearest station is Pontorson Mont St Michel: from there 25 minutes by bus (3,10 €). Other routes available, too - but means longer bus trip. The train ride from Paris is included (TGV to Rennes (need to change) with mandatory reservation / 10 € or 20 €).

Paris to Zürich: Included, direct trains with expensive mandatory reservation (other cheaper possibilities do exist)

Zürich to Luzern / Grindelwald / Zermatt: trains are included.

Zürich to etc.: Not everything is included.

Thank you for your reply.

What is the operating hours for the Trenitalia trains? It runs 24/7? What are the time intervals? 

thanks

Most trains in Italy are operated by Trenitalia. 

Of course it depends where to go to from and to which station and what day of the week.

Just use a travel planner and you'll see. For Italy: https://www.trenitalia.com/en.html

Thanks.

how about local buses in rome? It is included on global pass? We will tour around rome and usually i think will need bus for transfer. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Not valid on local buses. Generally not valid on any city transport at all, with a few exceptions.

The only time a Eurail pass would be valid on buses is when they’re operated by a train company , usually as a rail-replacement.

In most buses in Rome, you can pay with contactless credit or debit card.

Thank you.

Paris to zurich, what train should be take?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

The direct TGV Lyria has a mandatory 29€ reservation. It is convenient for sure but if you wish to save money take this route :

- any TGV Paris - Strasbourg or Mulhouse 10€ limited fare, then 20€

- fast TER across the border to Basel SBB (reservation-free)

- any train in Switzerland afterwards (reservations aren't a thing here)

Btw if you're going to Lucerne or Interlaken it is faster to get off the TGV at Basel SBB.

Thanks

On the google maps, Lyria is the same as the TGV lyria right?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Yes sure.

All those options would be possible with Eurail. Only remember to book the high-speed train (whichever you choose) in advance :)