Solved

Eurail Global Pass in Switzerland for Gotthard Express and the Volarpen Express

Can I use the eurail global pass for the Gotthard Express and the Volarpen Express Trains in Switzerland?

icon

Best answer by thibcabe 5 May 2023, 06:37

View original

10 replies

Thank you @thibcabe !

When I went to the Glacier Express website,

https://shop.glacierexpress.ch/gex_en/specials/daytrips/glacier-express

The cost was shown as 272 CHF each, not 49 CHF. Am I missing something?

Unfortunately you do. When you do read the text written above the price mentioned, it says "At a later booking stage, when asked to fill in the passenger's details, you have the option to select "reservation only" under Ticket/Refund."

272 CHF is the price for a regular ticket.

That route was St. Moritz to Zermatt. 8 hours, 19 minute journey.

Thank you @thibcabe !

When I went to the Glacier Express website,

https://shop.glacierexpress.ch/gex_en/specials/daytrips/glacier-express

The cost was shown as 272 CHF each, not 49 CHF. Am I missing something?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Here you go : https://www.gotthard-panorama-express.ch/en/stories/tickets-und-reservationen

"Gotthard Panorama Express seat reservation" on Google.

You're too early for the summer season per the website.

About your other question : seat reservations are really not a thing in Switzerland -> people hop on hop off and sit wherever they want basically. It works well. 1st class is very rarely busy -> 2nd class tickets are expensive enough! :)

The only exceptions are trains for tourists :

- Glacier Express : 49 CHF mandatory reservation, very popular so book as soon as possible. Most seats are taken by tour groups months in advance.

- Bernina Express : 36 CHF mandatory reservation in the panorama carriages. However you can board the regular carriages at the front at no extra cost.

- Gotthard Panorama Express : mandatory reservation, 1st class required (so you're good to go). Alternative : very good and comfortable hourly Treno Gottardo (IR26/46).

- Golden Pass (Express) : optional reservations. 1st class is rarely busy so I wouldn't bother, especially if you board at the first stop.

The usual advice we give on this forum is to take the hourly regional trains following the same routes : no extra fees, less busy, less loud, sometimes pull-down windows (RhB network) = better experience overall.

Feel free to ask anything.

Also, can anybody reply with the proper URL link to get seat reservations for the Gotthard Panorama Express? We already have the 2 first class Eurail passes. Thank you.

You wrote: “For all other trains (except Glacier Express where they are required) reservations are a waste of money in Switzerland”

Why is that? I was going to make reservations for the Gotthard Express, Bernia Express, Glacier Express, and Golden Pass in June.

Noted and thank you very much. Highly apprecite your quick reply.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Yes if you have made seat reservations for the Gotthard Panorama Express it's fine

For all other trains (except Glacier Express where they are required) reservations are a waste of money in Switzerland

Thank you very for your quick response.
I have bought the first class eurail global pass. I have also separately made reservations in Gotthard Express & Volarpen exp IR2018. So I presume that there is no extra charge and I can use my eurail global pass in both these trains.
Thanks a lot.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Yes the Voralpen Express is only a brand, you can take any IR train

On the other hand the Gotthard Panorama Express is a special train : you need to pay for the boat (50% discount) and a 1st class surcharge for the train (only 1st class carriages) + 17 CHF (if I'm not mistaken) seat reservation

But you can take any hourly reservation-free IR train on the same route : whether 1st or 2nd class. It is the way to go in my opinion