Solved

Eurail pass appears to be cheaper, what am I missing?

• 10 April 2022
  • 2 replies

Hello,

I just started researching a trip to Paris/London/Edinburgh that I’ll be taking at the end of July and I saw that there is a 10% discount that expires tomorrow for the pass the Eurail website recommended - 4 day global. I’ve seen in multiple places that doing individual bookings is cheaper than a pass, but I’m not finding that to be true. The passes would be about 450 euros for myself and my husband with 120 euros in reservation fees total for the three trips we want to take (Paris-London, London-Edinburgh, Edinburgh- Paris). Using RailEurope, it looks like the trips are roughly 195, 230, and 250 and I don’t know whether that includes the reservation fees. With the discount expiring tomorrow, I was hoping to get someone to check my work. Any insights?

icon

Best answer by rvdborgt 10 April 2022, 06:10

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I just started researching a trip to Paris/London/Edinburgh that I’ll be taking at the end of July and I saw that there is a 10% discount that expires tomorrow for the pass the Eurail website recommended - 4 day global. I’ve seen in multiple places that doing individual bookings is cheaper than a pass, but I’m not finding that to be true. The passes would be about 450 euros for myself and my husband with 120 euros in reservation fees total for the three trips we want to take (Paris-London, London-Edinburgh, Edinburgh- Paris). Using RailEurope, it looks like the trips are roughly 195, 230, and 250 and I don’t know whether that includes the reservation fees. With the discount expiring tomorrow, I was hoping to get someone to check my work. Any insights?

There is no universal truth in this. What's cheaper depends on the journeys you intend to do and the advance fares available. For the journeys you mention, normal tickets would include reservations (optional for London-Edinburgh but free of charge anyway).

Do note that seats for pass holders (such as Eurail) are limited on Eurostar, especially around weekends and holidays. You can check availability here without buying a pass.

DO NOT BUY PASSES WITH THIS COMPANY!  THEY STEAL.