Solved

Eurostar Home Country - does it count as a French journey or British one?

• 24 July 2022
  • 5 replies

Hello! 

I (UK resident) understand that if I use the Eurostar from London to Paris it counts as a British journey, with regard to rules on use of Interrail passes in your home country. However I can find any info on the return Eurostar journey (Paris-London) - does this count as a ‘French’ journey or a ‘British’ one? 

Thanks very much. 

icon

Best answer by AnnaB 25 July 2022, 06:03

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

A trip with the Eurostar counts as both a French and a British journey. 

You have the possibility to travel on 2 travel days in your country of residence, not only 2 journeys.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

And €* will only accept global passes for its services.

Even when the same train runs on-at the border (in most cases) it suddenly transforms from a ´national railway country A´ train to ´B´-something that the Brits will not believe nor understand.

It is who owns the rails that determines to which rules that train runs.

Ah okay - thank you very much. 

So if I’m travelling to and from France from within the UK, any travel within the UK (outbound/inbound) must be on the same days that I take the Eurostar (in both directions)? Thanks again. 

E.g. the below would not be possible?

Day 1 - Edinburgh to Paris 

Day 2 - Paris to Nantes

Day 3 - Nantes to London 

Day 4 - London to Edinburgh

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

It is possible till Day3. If you enter a train* in London to Edinburgh before midnight CE(S)T (means in UK 23:00 GMT) than you use only 1 day in your home country. You have only 2 days in your home country. 

*I mean the scheduled departure time

So Eurostar counts as a British journey both inbound and outbound. Thank you very much.