Skip to main content
Solved

First Class Pass Scanning as Second Class

• 31 May 2024
  • 6 replies

I am currently traveling through Belgium and today, I had an issue with my first class mobile pass. When the conductor scanned my pass, it showed up on his device as second class. I showed him my mobile pass, which clearly says 1st class. He looked at it and he let me stay in first class, so today it was a non-issue. Has anyone had this happen before? Just trying to prepare in case it happens again. Thanks in advance for your input. 

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

@rvdborgt Do you know anything about this?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Never heard of this problem.

You can check the barcode yourself with the "eTicket Leser” app.

The app is in German, not sure if it's available in English. On the start screen, there's a "Barcode lesen” button (Read barcode) and then you can scan a barcode. You can also read a barcode from a screenshot by going into the menu at the top right and selecting "Screenshot lesen” (Read screenshot). Then select the screenshot containing your barcode.

The information about the class of the pass is then displayed near the bottom of the "Berechtigung” tab, where it should say "Klasse  first”. Here's an example from a previous pass of mine:

Thank you for your response. I wasn’t able to find a free app to download on iphone, so I will just see if it works next time. I didn’t have any issues the first two days I used it; then today for some reason, the issue occurred. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I've read a few more reports from various people in Belgium with this same issue. A friend of mine too. I checked his QR code with the "eTicket Leser” app and it shows first class, like in the app.

So this means that very probably the software of NMBS/SNCB staff is faulty.

@Mukhammad @Camilo., could you please contact Belgian railways about this? It seems all first class pass holders will run into this in Belgium.

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

Hi @rvdborgt 

Thank you for the feedback. I will make sure to forward this to our communications coordinator, so she will contact the carrier on this. 

I will keep you updated!

Have a nice weekend :)

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

UPDATE:

We have received an answer from SNCB. 

Currently, Eurail/Interrail passes must still be inspected visually, as Train Managers are not yet required to scan the QR codes on these tickets.

Although the SNCB control system, known as "DiTA," is technically capable of reading Eurail/Interrail and other QR-coded tickets, it has not been systematically tested. As a result, this method of control cannot yet be deemed reliable due to potential bugs and errors. The integration of this functionality is planned for future developments, but the timeline is not yet fully defined.

If you have further questions, please let me know!

Have a nice day!