France Pass or Global Pass?

Hey there,

my sister and i want to travel to France from Germany, Frankfurt. We would like to visit Paris for a few days, then heading south to Marseille and Nice, .... There we would like to visit the smaller towns by train, like Aix-en-Provence, La Ciotat, Eze, Antibes, Monaco,….we kind of would like to be flexible because of the weather. Now the question is if a france pass or a global pass would be a better fit for us? We are kind of overwhelmed with all the informations.

We hope to get some thoughts on that! xx

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

If you will travel during the summer, the cheapest is to use the 9 EUR ticket in Germany and then buy a French one country pass. 

With the 9 EUR ticket you can't use the EC, ICE and IC trains in Germany, but I guess that you already know that. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Please be avere, that the 9€ Ticket does not work till to the border, but some times only to the last station in Germany. Than you have to pay from the last station in Germany to the border a Ticket. From the border you can use the Interrail Pass France (only in France and Monaco). 

In France TGV (ICE, AVE, ...) needs a reservation. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hallo, highly doubt if any pass is the best solution for this. Rather I advise to check HEUte what on bahn.de tickets to P, P->M and back home from M cost (but this thsu also means you have to fix the dates-but frankly the needed REServ on any pass will also need you to do that-though you could in theory use the much slower TER trains along thrse lines. Ab DE nach P ist immer am teuersten mit Thalys.

Also think of he overnight P->M (stops in Blancarde, goes to Nice=not main station St Charles)

In area round M BUS is a far better option-and for junior also much cheaper. (was there a few weeks ago). There is also a Pass Isabella for train travel along mediterranee Nice area.

Tickets in Nahverk ab letzter Bhf bis nach 1er in FR oder Grenze kosten meist noch keine 2€.

Hallo, highly doubt if any pass is the best solution for this. Rather I advise to check HEUte what on bahn.de tickets to P, P->M and back home from M cost (but this thsu also means you have to fix the dates-but frankly the needed REServ on any pass will also need you to do that-though you could in theory use the much slower TER trains along thrse lines. Ab DE nach P ist immer am teuersten mit Thalys.

Also think of he overnight P->M (stops in Blancarde, goes to Nice=not main station St Charles)

In area round M BUS is a far better option-and for junior also much cheaper. (was there a few weeks ago). There is also a Pass Isabella for train travel along mediterranee Nice area.

Tickets in Nahverk ab letzter Bhf bis nach 1er in FR oder Grenze kosten meist noch keine 2€.

Well thank you for the reply! So you would say we should not buy a pass and just buy/reserve for the trains we want to use? We´re from germany, so thats why we were planning on using the ICE Frankfurt>Paris & Paris>Frankfurt and Paris >Marseille /Marseille>Nice we wanted to use the TGV and going back Nice>Paris the night train. sounds kind of expensive not using a pass? idk haha

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Well thank you for the reply! So you would say we should not buy a pass and just buy/reserve for the trains we want to use? We´re from germany, so thats why we were planning on using the ICE Frankfurt>Paris & Paris>Frankfurt and Paris >Marseille /Marseille>Nice we wanted to use the TGV and going back Nice>Paris the night train. sounds kind of expensive not using a pass? idk haha

Hey you my adapt your journey to save some reservation costs :)

If you travel with a globalpass
Frankfurt - Paris
Paris - Nice maybe with the Nighttrain (and then the Coast)
Finally Marseille and catch then from Marseille the daily TGV to Frankfurt. No need to go twice to Paris :) and save some reservation fee´s :)