Solved

Frankfurt-Munich-Venice

• 17 August 2023
  • 5 replies

My sweetheart and I are visiting Germany and Italy in September/October. Should we purchase a 3 day Eurail pass from DB to travel from Frankfurt to Munich on the 21st and then Munich to Venice on the 23rd or buy individual tickets? I’ve heard you can buy a “Twin Pass” to save money also. I haven’t seen them on the DB site though. Whats the best way….

Will we need to make seat reservations for the Venice trip on TrenItalia?

Any advice is appreciated...

Thank you

Norman

icon

Best answer by thibcabe 17 August 2023, 22:46

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

If those are your only train journeys individual tickets may be cheaper. The 3 day Twin Pass costs 342€ in 2nd class and could be a good deal since it covers the journey to Venice too (on the direct EC only) while this train tends to be expensive. 1st class doesn't cost much more at 456€ for greater comfort and quieter carriages.

Check bahn.com or DB Navigator app for the best fares and compare.

There are 2 daily ECs between Munich and Venice : 07:34 - 14:28 and 11:32 - 18:25. Seat reservations are not included but very much recommended : 3€ on ÖBB or 4.90€ on DB.

Qustion for the group.

I'll be getting on the train in Vienna going to Munich,stopping for a day or two before going to Frankfurt ending my trip there.

What is best? Seperate tickets or a pass.

Travel from 10 Oct.-13 Oct

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Definitely advance tickets, the earlier you buy the cheaper. On bahn.com (German railways) I can find each leg for 35-50€ in 2nd class which is good value (10-15€ extra for 1st class).

Seat reservations are optional but recommended. 3€ extra per train when bought through ÖBB or 4.90€ on DB with a seat map.

OK on advance tickets,BUT a pass or SEPERATE tickets for each leg?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

No need for a pass for this trip. Separate tickets bought on bahn.com for each leg