Solved

German citizen living outside of Europe - Eurail or Interrail pass ?

• 11 March 2022
  • 6 replies

Hi together.. I have a German passport, but been living abroad outside of Europe for many years now. Would like to travel across Europe this summer, is Eurail or Interrail pass the right one for me?

Thanks in advance!

icon

Best answer by rvdborgt 11 March 2022, 10:03

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Country of residence is what matters. You can buy a Eurail pass.

Country of residence is what matters. You can buy a Eurail pass.

Thanks dear @rvdborgt :pray:

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

BUT-this will esp. apply if you travel a lot in DE: you MUST  be able to prove that you indeed live outside of DE-for at least 6 monthes=which means you must have some kind of local permit to stay. Checks are not overly frequent, but there is always the chance you hit a special anti-fraud team of DB or just a brand new apprentice being instructed by a senior teacher/inspector about how it all works.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

BUT-this will esp. apply if you travel a lot in DE: you MUST  be able to prove that you indeed live outside of DE-for at least 6 monthes=which means you must have some kind of local permit to stay. 

You need to be able to show where you live. Full stop. As I have pointed out repeatedly, there is no 6 month rule anymore in the Interrail/Eurail conditions. if you think there still is, please say where we can find it, so we can all learn from it.

Thanks for the clarification @mcadv and @rvdborgt - I have understood now what to do.. :thumbsup:

@Anh Tu May I ask which ID you used to activate your pass? German passport or something else? Thank you!!