Solved

Getting through station gatelines in the UK with Interrail pass

• 10 June 2022
  • 2 replies

Hello,

I’d like to ask how do I get through station gatelines in the UK with an Interrail mobile pass? I’ve heard that I would need to scan a barcode on a scanner, but last time I visited UK, I went to many stations and I don’t remember there being any scanners, only a hole for a paper ticket. Maybe I remember incorrectly? Also I don’t think all the stations have an attendant that I could ask for help.

icon

Best answer by mcadv 10 June 2022, 21:10

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hello,

I’d like to ask how do I get through station gatelines in the UK with an Interrail mobile pass? I’ve heard that I would need to scan a barcode on a scanner, but last time I visited UK, I went to many stations and I don’t remember there being any scanners, only a hole for a paper ticket. Maybe I remember incorrectly? Also I don’t think all the stations have an attendant that I could ask for help.

If there are no scanner you do it the sameway as with the PaperRailpass :) Show your mobile pass to Servicestaff at the gate and they let you through :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

These scanners ONLY work in NL (and only for a few times and for a short few days-many get caught out) and apparently now even also in a few cases in FRance (as I read somewhere).

UK is different in about anything they can be different in and this includes the way to run railways-it also means that IF a station has gates there IS always someone to assist-as also from domestic tickets a fair nr will not be able to let these gates work. If the worker is sick/on leave or whatever-there will be at least 1 open gate. As such I´ve never been challenged there and always been winked through without even a close look at days etc. But that was always on paper passes, but also far away from the usual touristy lines.