Solved

Global Eurail Pass

• 28 November 2023
  • 6 replies

Hi, I was checking the prices for the global pass and one country pass and there is quite a big difference.  I want to travel to Germany from Belgium (my country of residence). I hold a non-european passport but i have a valid residence permit of Begium. In the details of Global pass it is mentioned that you can only buy it if you are living outside Europe…. Do you think I can get this global pass and use my non-European passport as ID????   

Even though my plan is to visit Germany for max of 5 days but the price of one country pass is exactly the same (but fewer days), I have attached the screenshot here for your reference… It would be nice if i can get some practical suggestions in this regard… (preferably today as sale will end tonight😉 :))

One country pass : 

icon

Best answer by thibcabe 28 November 2023, 09:07

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

You're comparing a youth global pass with an adult German rail pass. You can only use a youth pass if you're not yet 28 at the first day of validity.

The German rail pass should be cheaper than the 10-day global pass. You can use the German rail pass from Brussels or Liège if you use the ICE.

If you have a non-European passport, then you can choose whether you buy Eurail or Interrail. The price is the same, it's just that Interrail global passes have a maximum of 2 travel days in your country of residence, so Eurail would then be more interesting to you.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

You can use Eurail if you have a non-European passport.

You can use Interrail if you live in Europe as long as you have a valid residence permit.

Be aware that you've posted Global Youth and One-country Adult prices. Both are available in Adult/Youth versions.

The One-country Youth pass for 5 days costs 187€.

The German Rail Pass is somewhat different than other One-country passes as it includes some international trains :

- ICE from Brussels, Liège to Germany (not Eurostar trains)

- EC from Munich to Verona, Bologna, Venice

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Eurail is for those from outside Europe

Interrail is for those from Europe

The main difference is Interrail has limit of 2 days use in home country.

With non European Passport you can get Eurail, be sure to correctly use the country of passport when ordering.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Right now there is a 25% discount on the Global Pass that you are looking at and a 10% discount on the German Rail Pass. Then, as said above, you are also comparing a youth pass with an adult pass.

My bad. Thanks for pointing it out. I really appreciate all the helpful suggestions here! 

You're comparing a youth global pass with an adult German rail pass. You can only use a youth pass if you're not yet 28 at the first day of validity.

The German rail pass should be cheaper than the 10-day global pass. You can use the German rail pass from Brussels or Liège if you use the ICE.

If you have a non-European passport, then you can choose whether you buy Eurail or Interrail. The price is the same, it's just that Interrail global passes have a maximum of 2 travel days in your country of residence, so Eurail would then be more interesting to you.

Thanks!