Solved

Global Pass not valid in my homecountry, why?

• 19 December 2021
  • 4 replies

Hello! I‘ve bought a Global Pass with four travel days. My trip is the following:

Day 1 (19.12.21): Cadiz-Sevilla-Barcelona
Day 2 (20.12.21): Barcelona-Lyon-Geneve (inbound)
Day 3 (27.12.21) Geneve-Lyon-Barcelona (outbound)
Day 4 (28.12.21) Barcelona-Sevilla-Cadiz

My homecountry is Switzerland and I expected one inbound and one outbound journey with this global pass. But on the pass it‘s written „not valid in Switzerland“. Why? 

Thanks and best regards

icon

Best answer by rvdborgt 19 December 2021, 16:55

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Thats the usual notation. You did not clearly say if you have the paper pas or not-I guess yes, and that case you are allowed to make the 1 OUT and 1 In bound trip by filling out the special fields for that on the cover. Note-in CH most train companies accept IR, but not all- certainly SBB and BLS do-but if you live along a minor branchline it may be out of bound-check that

It is simply a note for conductors when they check the passes to look out for. Also note that it seems to me in CH they are very very on the look out for misuse-as fares are so sky high there. Plus that most Swiss people who go by train already have some GeneralABO or Halbtax or whatever.

Thanks for your quick answer. I have the mobile pass and the restriction „not valid in Switzerland“ is found when you scroll down on the QR-Code page (the one you show the conductors). I tried to delete the part of the journey going over the swiss boarder, but the restriction stayed there. So I assume it‘s just a default sentence and it should be possible to do the journey like I described above? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Danilo Esaltato  just for information you still not entered Switzerland in the view of the Railpass as Geneve Corvanin is the borderpoint between the Swiss and the French Railnetwork.
This means that you are technicaly still in France :D

These borderpoints are sometimes a bit strange :) For example the Austrian towns Kufstein & Salzburg can be reached with German Networktickets (like Bahncard100) A german explanation of these "Borderpoints"

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Thanks for your quick answer. I have the mobile pass and the restriction „not valid in Switzerland“ is found when you scroll down on the QR-Code page (the one you show the conductors). I tried to delete the part of the journey going over the swiss boarder, but the restriction stayed there. So I assume it‘s just a default sentence and it should be possible to do the journey like I described above? 

The phrase "Not valid in {country}” is not displayed when you use an inbound/outbound journey. But if you don't go further than Geneva, you don't need those.