Solved

Global pass outbound/ inbound counted twice with overnight train

• 9 August 2023
  • 2 replies

Hey Interrail community,

I’m travelling with a mobile Global Pass with my family with residence in Germany. We started our journey in Berlin at 9pm with an overnight train to Offenburg (border with France) arriving the following day at 6am and from there change to a TGV to Paris at 7am. As expected this consumed two travel days. What it was unexpected is that this consumed both out-/inbound days in all our tickets.

My return journey is with the same overnight train in Germany (already reserved). Asking the personnel in the train and train stations they all coincided this is not correct. They gave me some tips for the next time, to split the trip (my second trip starting in Strasbourg across the border, instead of Offenburg) or indicate the first outbound train in the app starting the next day.

To fix our current situation they suggested to contact Interrail’s service center, but since this is hard to reach, here I am 😀. What can I do to recover the inbound day?

I did this same journey multiple times with a paper Interrail ticket booked with a travel agency specialized in train travel and I never had any issues.

Thanks in advance!

icon

Best answer by BrendanDB 9 August 2023, 19:10

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

I get your point. But you’lld have better just bought an ordinary ticket from Offenburg to Strasbourg to save you the hassle of requesting an extra homebound travel day.

You can try your luck here: https://eurail.zendesk.com/hc/en-001/requests/new and explain your situation. Best also mention your return travel day, in order to get prioritised correctly.

They can give you back your inbound/outbound travel day, but technically nothing went wrong.

You boarded another train on another day, starting in Germany. So is not a mistake due to them or a bug or technical fault of them. It automatically consumes an extra travel day and inbound/outbound day.

But there are ongoing tests for a 3rd inbound/outbound day on some passes, so you can always ask. Hopefully they can restore it ;)

Thanks @BrendanDB! I will try my luck then.

I do understand that technically nothing went wrong, but it doesn’t feel as the expected logical behavior and experience in such cases.