Solved

Going in and out of residence country

Hello,

I’m sorry if this question was asked already multiple times, but did not found the answer. 

I bought the 2 months Global pass, and wanted to pass by my home country in the middle of the trip to rest for a few days. At that point the 1-out 1-in my residency country will be used. How do I do if I wish to take a train from one of my home stations to foreign countries again ? I would pay the ticket just to the closest station of my country, but then inevitably the train will go through the border. I did not get how to do that (especially night trains that do not halt close to borders).

Many thanks,

Sophie

icon

Best answer by AnnaB 11 May 2022, 19:08

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

You can only use 2 traveldays in your country so you will need to plan your trip to see for which travels it will be best to use the outbound and inbound journey. For all other trips you need to buy a ticket to the closest station outside your country. I guess that will be difficult for a night train.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

The pass is valid from the Border Points some are station others are only spot on the tracks.

The Staff at a ticket office can sell you tickets from your Hometown to your desired borderpoint.

For example between Austria and Germany most borderpoints are real stations Passau,Salzburg,Kufstein, Lindau Reutin :) between others it´s a point somewhere on the tracks often shown as (Gr) for “Grenze” in german border
examples Aachen Süd (Gr) on the trains between Germany and Belgium or Emmerich (Gr) on the ICE´s between Cologne and Amsterdam

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

But the swiss has very few nighttrains-and the few they do have all stop at border stations/BHFe that also serve as linking pin to neighbor systems.

And does not every swiss person that uses its zugli more often have already some kind of ABO or gleis7 to avoid paying the sky-high normal prices? oder vielleicht hat doch IHre Kleinst-Gemeinde sogar diese ausleih-general ABO?

But the swiss has very few nighttrains-and the few they do have all stop at border stations/BHFe that also serve as linking pin to neighbor systems.

And does not every swiss person that uses its zugli more often have already some kind of ABO or gleis7 to avoid paying the sky-high normal prices? oder vielleicht hat doch IHre Kleinst-Gemeinde sogar diese ausleih-general ABO?

Hello, 

Yes I do half a ½ price train tickets in Switzerland. But getting to the Italy border for example will cost me around 30 euros :) 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Yes I do half a ½ price train tickets in Switzerland. But getting to the Italy border for example will cost me around 30 euros :) 

An overview of the Swiss border tariff points can be found here.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hello, 

@sophie.a 

Maybe you can buy a "Spartageskarte" and travel a little cheaper than 30 EUR.

https://www.sbb.ch/de/abos-billette/billette-schweiz/tageskarten.html