Solved

Help in planning booking and how to get the best pass

• 2 May 2023
  • 6 replies

• Rail rookie
  • 1 reply

Here is my question:

Family of 5 with 2 seniors and three young adults 16, 23, 25.

June 4, 2023: desire to travel via train from Geneva, Switzerland to Stresa, Italy

From what I can tell, the cost for a second class ticket is 442.00 USD for all on the direct train, 2nd class fully flexible. We can leave around 12:00 at the earliest but prefer to get into Stresa Italy the mid-late afternoon to get to the hotel, so avoiding the reservation cost is possible if not excessive time is added.

June 6: Stresa, Italy to Verona, Italy somewhere between 107.00 to 158 USD total for Ordinare

June 8: Verona, Italy to Trieste, Italy 131.45 USD Ordinare

June 10: Possible travel to Slovenia but can take the flix bus for reasonable and shorter.

Do you have a recommendation on what type of pass I should use (Eurail Single country Italy, Eurail Global, or individual tickets).

If the website such as ‘the train line’ say that there are two seats left, does that mean we will not be able to take that train with the Eurail pass when the time comes?

icon

Best answer by thibcabe 2 May 2023, 10:29

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

You're better with regular tickets because you need to add seat reservations on Italian high-speed trains with Eurail.

4th June : if you want flexibility buy Saver Day Passes for 5 x 70 CHF on sbb.ch. Valid all day on all Swiss public transportation (until Domodossola). Simply board any train, bus, boat,... you'd like.

Or Saver tickets (tied to a specific connection) between Geneva and Domodossola. Departures at 12:29 or 14:10 for example with a change in Brig. 45 CHF per person (the cheapest option available)

Within Italy use trenitalia.com (official website)

From Domodossola 23€ total Ordinare tickets, valid all day on any regional train

6th June : advance tickets to Verona, they are tied to a specific connection (and include seat reservations). There is a daily direct train or with connection in Milan. Or Ordinaria tickets valid on all regional trains (93.50€ for 5)

8th June : same as above

10th June : 2 daily regional trains Trieste - Ljubljana 8€ unlimited availability, buy at Trieste train station. For example 09:03 - 11:49. Trains continue to Lake Bled. https://www.seat61.com/trains-and-routes/venice-to-ljubljana-and-zagreb-by-train.htm (incredible website)

(or Flixbus)

Do not hesitate for questions. Eurail would cost minimum a thousand dollars in total so not worth it this time

Thank you, thibcabe, for your detailed response. It has made it so much easier to navigate and choose. I so appreciate your time. I have a few additional questions now that I started to understand your recommendations.

On either the sbb.ch and trenitalia.com website, do you recommend purchasing online or through the app? It is easier for me to do it online, although I have downloaded the app on my phone, so I will do what you think works best.

When looking at the trenitalia.com website, I cannot locate where you Purchase Ordinare tickets that are valid all day except those with this message:

“ORDINARY
4,60€

The purchased ticket is already validated with the date and time of departure chosen by the customer. Tickets may have different validity according to regional regulations. Change and refund are permitted according to different regional regulations”

Is this what you are referring to?

I like the flexibility in the tickets when it is available, as I am not sure of our sightseeing timelines. However, the days are set as far as hotel reservations are concerned, so we will travel on those days I listed above.  I assume you are recommending that all the tickets (except 10 June) should be arranged ahead of time? (which would certainly make it easier once we are traveling)

Thank you again!

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Purchasing online is perfectly fine, I’d do that too over the app. Still use the app to look for connections, platforms, train compositions, eventual delays or such.

I thought that Ordinare tickets were valid all day on regional trains... but apparently it’s only for a 4-hour window… (which can be changed prior to the travel date). My bad !

See : https://www.trenitalia.com/en/html/trenitalia/Info_Tariffe_en_LeFrecce.html#ORDINARY

I guess if you’d like flexibility buy 2 separate tickets :

• Stresa - Milano 43€ total
  • Milano - Verona 63.50€ total

Ordinare tickets will always be the same price and cannot sell out. You can buy them until 5 min before departure so that is a good possibility too for flexibility in my opinion. It is also possible at the train station at ticket machines or counters (doesn’t cost extra).

(on the other hand high-speed train tickets should be booked in advance because they can sell out)

For Switzerland either the Saver Day Pass right now (as your travel date is set anyway) or a saver train ticket (tied to a connection in that case)

Thank you so much for your time and advice thibcabe. I have spent hours on this and feel like you have solved so many of my questions and helped me with so many of the details!

Based on your travel plans, it seems like you have a well-defined itinerary for your family trip. When considering whether to use a Eurail pass or individual tickets, it's essential to evaluate the overall cost and convenience. Since you have specific travel dates and destinations, it would be beneficial to compare the cost of individual tickets for each leg of your journey against the price of a Eurail pass. Take into account any discounts available for seniors and young adults.

Regarding seat availability, Eurail pass holders typically have a certain number of seats allocated on each train, but it's important to note that seat reservations may be required or recommended for certain trains or routes. While "the train line" may indicate that there are only two seats left, it's possible that additional seats may still be available for Eurail pass holders, even if the online information suggests otherwise. It's advisable to check directly with the train operator or the local ticket office to inquire about seat availability and reservation requirements for your specific journey.

Considering the flexibility and convenience you mentioned, it would be wise to compare the cost of individual tickets versus the Eurail pass, taking into account any reservation fees and the level of flexibility you desire. This will help you make an informed decision about which option suits your needs and budget best. 

Regards
BrycenLennon

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Regarding seat availability, Eurail pass holders typically have a certain number of seats allocated on each train,

That's only true for some trains. In this case only maybe for the train from Switzerland to Italy, depending on the exact connection used.