Solved

Home country travel rules. Do I have to use them?

Hi,

I bought my Interrail Global Pass and planned my trip.

Germany to Rome

Rome to Florence

Florence to Venice

Venice to Germany

I booked a 4 day ticket, because the times line up perfectly to reach each destination within a day or a couple of hours.

Now I read, that I have to use a travel day just to travel in my home country ( germany ).

Does that mean, that I have to actually book 6 travel days?

And if that is the case, could I change my pass to get a pass with more days?

PS. : It’s quite sad that there are no informations about that when you book the tickets.

Thank you very much, Hannah

icon

Best answer by Al_G 23 June 2022, 20:31

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

No.

You CAN use it in your home country for 2 of the days, you don’t have to.

Hi,

I bought my Interrail Global Pass and planned my trip.

Germany to Rome

Rome to Florence

Florence to Venice

Venice to Germany

I booked a 4 day ticket, because the times line up perfectly to reach each destination within a day or a couple of hours.

Now I read, that I have to use a travel day just to travel in my home country ( germany ).

Does that mean, that I have to actually book 6 travel days?

And if that is the case, could I change my pass to get a pass with more days?

PS. : It’s quite sad that there are no informations about that when you book the tickets.

Thank you very much, Hannah

Hallo Hannah, 

solange du dein Ziel in einem Tag erreichst, brauchst du auch nur einen “travel day”. Es kommt also nur darauf an, dass du von deinem Ausgangsort in Deutschland an einem Fahrttag bis nach Rom kommst und auf der Rückfahrt an einem Fahrttag wieder dein Ziel in Deutschland erreichst.

Die Regel, die du meinst, sagt, dass du an zweien deiner vier Fahrttage auch in Deutschland fahren kannst; aber eben nur an zweien. Du brauchst für die Fahrten in Deutschland aber keine zusätzlichen Fahrttage. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

There might be a hickup though, if you come back on the overnight train from Vnz to M+onward.

Depending on where you live in DE and if youre willing to ´brave´ the 9€ horrors to reach border, it may be just as wise or cheaper to book advance tickets- DO be aware that IF you use the frecce=fast trains (kind of ICE) on TrenItalia, you also MUST make REServ. and these cost an additional 10€-some routes can be done for less on IC or even just local trains-in much longer time. You also have to pay 10€ extra for the direct trains M-to ITaly via Austria, or 11 for IC trains from Swiss to IT.

Und nochmal Überraschung: das alles hätte tante DB in deine Reisezenter auch gleich machen+verkaufen können.

Thank you very much for your quick answer AI_G.

Und auch dir vielen Dank für die genaue Beschreibung Hektor. Das hat mir echt weiter geholfen.