Skip to main content

Just making sure I am understanding the Europass correctly since I am unavailable to speak with an actual Eurorail agent. I am going to Europe in October for a little bit over 2 weeks and wanted to visit 4 major countries including Spain, France, Italy, and Germany. My concern is that traveling between some of these countries the trip would take about anywhere from 10-15 hours, I wanted to make sure that for every time i do travel on train per one destination it would only be accounted for one day. However if a certain trip went past midnight would that count as another day? on top of that I am 27 now however will be turning 28 end of this month should i get the youth or adult pass?

On a travel day, you can use as many trains as you like. For night trains, as long as you don’t change after midnight, you don't need a new travel day.

As to your age: what counts is your age on the first day of validity. If you turn 28 this month and travel in October, you will need an adult pass.

In the past EUrail had in fact 1000s of very small scale ´agents´-most were slightly smarter students who had been in EUR and learnt the ropes-they would make some money in commissions by re-selling passes-and taking all these USA-style  worries away. That is no more-also the era of all paper passes (noted for considerable fraud) has gone-as has last century too in 2000.

In the past there were also-who would ever have thought of that-even students- BOOKs, explaining it all. A certain Rick Steves was famous for that. Maybe the library still stocks a few.

So its all do-it-yourself now, no USA style ever present agents on the phone. Fetch for yourself-also when things do not go very rosy.