Solved

Identity card or passport ?

• 23 February 2022
  • 3 replies

So I’m a french citizen and I’m planning to travel to Istanbul this summer. The problem is I don’t have a passport, only the french identity card. I saw that you can go to Turkey with only the identity card but I was wondering if it is better with a passport, or if the customs officers are going to bother me because of it ? Should I start making a passport ? (The plan is to go from France to Germany then Croatia, Hungary, Romania and finally Turkey). Thank you in advance.

icon

Best answer by mcadv 24 February 2022, 13:17

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

If an identity card is enough for all countries you will be visiting or transiting, then you don't need a passport and you shouldn't worry. The best is to check with the French and/or Turkish authorities.

Do take into account however, that the only train to Turkey could be the Optima Express (starting 21 May), which is not included in Interrail. The regular train from Bucarest via Sofia to Istanbul is still not running and nobody knows when it will resume service.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

ONLY country as for now for EU-citizens that requires a full passpt is the UK! For all countries participating in the pass scheme. You can be sure, very sure, that Turkish border officials will know about ID, you certainly will not be nr 1. You MAY however (check that!) also have to fill in some kind of form. In fact due to covid you may also have to fill in various forms for other countries too.

And as rian again tells; NO direct trains to TR since some 2 yrs and many yrs to come. This forum has by now at least 100+ topica about it. Same-same for GR by the way.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Istanbul - Sofia runs again from 25.4. Sofia - Istanbul starts on 26.4. From 3.6. from/to Bucarest (only in summer):

https://www.economic.bg/bg/a/view/noshten-vlak-otnovo-shte-pytuva-po-marshrut-sofija-istanbul