Solved

Inbound journey. Crossing border before midnight

• 21 February 2024
  • 8 replies

I am trying to figure out how to get the best use os my pass on the last inbound part of my travel.

I haven’t decided exactly which train I will take, but it might look something like this:

Hamburg (DE) 20:43 to Flensburg (DE) 22:40 (Last station before the border)

Flensburg (DE) 22:50 to Fredericia (DK) 00:14

Fredericia (DK) 00:20 to Horsens (DK) 00:59

The last part is short, but in case I have a travel day to spare, I can just as well use it for that.

I have read this guide: https://www.interrail.eu/en/interrail-passes/interrail-mobile-pass/mobile-pass-faq/how-can-i-travel-back-home-by-night-train

I tells how to split an inbound journey, so that the inbound is applied to the second day. But that assumes that the border is crossed after midnight. In my case I will cross the border before midnight and change to another train after midnight.

I know this will require 2 travel days, but is there any way to apply the inbound journey to the last day?

There is no trains from Flensburg after midnight. Or from Padborg on the other side for that matter.

A 5 day pass might be too little for my full journey and since there is no 6 day pass, I will probably buy a 7 day pass. It is not that much more expensive and will give me less stress. But if I can get reservations for som fast trains om my way home, I may have a travel day to spare. And then I can just as well use it on the last short leg. If that is even possible.

Palle Dam, Denmark 

icon

Best answer by runner.on.rails 21 February 2024, 19:15

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

Your pass is not valid within your country except on your in or outbound days. So, Im sorry to tell you, but since you enter your country with the travelday of the previous day, youll neeed two inbounds for that case. If you are lucky, denmark is part of the test to have 3 in/out bounds. Unfortunately there is no list available about which countries participate…

Otherwise, try to fit your schedule into 5 travel days, Frederica Horsens should be ways cheaper than a travel day. And, since youll still have one day to less, check normal tickets on your other travel legs, and replace the one where standard ticket is the cheapest.

Thank you for confirming that it will not be possible to have the last bit of my journey covered by the pass. I was expecting this, I just wanted to be sure.

Denmark is a small country, so I guess we are not a part of the extra-day-test. But it looks like the Netherlands is covered by the test:

The Netherlands is about the same size as Denmark. In many places the distance to the border might even be shorter. So maybe… The Eurail/Interrail is located in the Netherlands.

As you said, there is no list but does anyone what the criteria is for a country to be part of the test? The article about it is a bit vague: https://eurail.zendesk.com/hc/en-001/articles/11170800337821-Extra-outbound-inbound-journeys-visible-on-the-Rail-Planner-app

I will know if Denmark is covered when I have bought my pass.

About the other countrys: Should we make our own list of test-participating countries by asking people in this community (In a separate topic)? Or does Eurail/Interrail want it to be a secret? After all, it is only a test.      

Back to my own case: I have looked at the prices for regular tickets, and it looks like the price for my last full day will cost less or about the same as the price difference between the 5- og 7-day passes (With the current discount 324-271 = €53). So I will buy a 5-day pass.

Palle Dam

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

There is no criteria AFAIK : the Netherlands, Switzerland and Sweden are taking part for sure. Don't know about other ones.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

There is no criteria AFAIK : the Netherlands, Switzerland and Sweden are taking part for sure. Don't know about other ones.

Belgium too.

Just an update - sort of…

I have now bought a 5-day pass and registered it in the Rail Planner App. But I still can't see how many inbound/outbound days I have. Maybe it will not show this unless the pass is activated - but I don't want to do that until right before my journey starts.

Palle Dam

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

You can always activate the pass with a start date well in the future, check how many I/O days you have and the immediately deactivate the pass.

I activated and deactivated my pass. It looks like Denmark only has the normal 2 inbound /outbound days. I don't know what the pattern is, since countries with similar sizes has 3 days. Maybe there is no pattern. After all, it is only a test...

So in case anyone else reads this, the list of inbound /outbound days currently looks like this:

Belgium: 3 days

Denmark: 2 days

Netherlands: 3 days

Sweden: 3 days

Switzerland: 3 days

Feel free to add more countries to the list.

Palle Dam

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

I activated and deactivated my pass. It looks like Denmark only has the normal 2 inbound /outbound days. I don't know what the pattern is, since countries with similar sizes has 3 days. Maybe there is no pattern. After all, it is only a test...

So in case anyone else reads this, the list of inbound /outbound days currently looks like this:

Belgium: 3 days

Denmark: 2 days

Netherlands: 3 days

Sweden: 3 days

Switzerland: 3 days

Feel free to add more countries to the list.

Palle Dam

I think EurailGroup asked their partners (which is in most cases the (ex) state railways or an association of railway companies), if they want to participate in the test or not.