Solved

Inbound night train problem

Hi,

I have a problem with a night train from sweden back to  my residence country germany. When using the night train from Malmo C to Hamburg the mobile pass uses my last inbound travel day on the 18th april but i need it on the 19th april to get back home.

The workaround i have found here does not work because the last stop of the train is in Denmark before midnight. Border crossing to germany should be around 3:00am.

Does anyone have an idea how to use it correctly in the app to have a valid ticket? 

icon

Best answer by rvdborgt 16 April 2022, 23:29

View original

16 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

So i hope i got this correct now;

Hi Dulan!

Did your travels work out like this?

I have the same issue - I want to take the same night train from Stockholm and as well continue from Hamburg to Göttingen the next day. But I am really confused if it is okay to put Padborg, since the train is not passing the border there…

Thank you!

yeah it´s okey to add Padborg as the train stops there
it´s the current workaround to place the inbound Journey on the correct date.

Hi Dulan!

Did your travels work out like this?

I have the same issue - I want to take the same night train from Stockholm and as well continue from Hamburg to Göttingen the next day. But I am really confused if it is okay to put Padborg, since the train is not passing the border there…

Thank you!

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Given that after using the night train I do not want to take other trains: According to the InterRail rules, then I would only need the 18th as a travel day. But your workaround would make the App to use the 18th and the 19th as travel days. What is the correct way then to do it? Also use the 18th as inbound travel, because of the night train rule that inbound travel is valid also on the 19th as long as I do not leave that one train?

If you do not need to change after midnight, then you can just enter the journey as normal. The app will then use one travel day and one inbound/outbound journey.

You'll have to split your journey but not the way you did it now. You have to split in into 2 journeys at a location where the train will have passed midnight, but still outside of Germany, e.g. Padborg (just north of the border). Since this is not a station where this train stops, you'll have to add manual journeys Malmö C - Padborg and Padborg - Hamburg Hbf. It should be there around 2:30. That way, your inbound journey will be linked to the 19th and not the 18th.

I have a follow up question to this:

Given that after using the night train I do not want to take other trains: According to the InterRail rules, then I would only need the 18th as a travel day. But your workaround would make the App to use the 18th and the 19th as travel days. What is the correct way then to do it? Also use the 18th as inbound travel, because of the night train rule that inbound travel is valid also on the 19th as long as I do not leave that one train?

Thank you very much :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

That looks good indeed.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Can you maybe give me a step by step explanation when to activate what trip to use my night train which i already payed reservations for?

How will my ticket still be valid for the night train?

Starting from the status in your screenshot above:

1. Remove Malmö C - Høje Taastrup from My Pass (tap on the switch).
  2. Manually add a journey Malmö C 22:10 - Padborg 3:30. Add it to My Pass.
  3. Manually add a journey Padborg 3:31 - Hamburg Hbf 5:31. Add it to My Pass.

Your pass and reservations will of course still be valid.

Can you maybe give me a step by step explanation when to activate what trip to use my night train which i already payed reservations for?

How will my ticket still be valid for the night train?

I still can't solve the issue :/

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I will get an error that i can't take 2 trains at the same time. Sorry i really don't get it working.

First remove the trains from My Pass that you had already added. In the screenshot above, Malmö - Høje Taastrup is still added to My Pass.

Thanks for your answer first :)

I will get an error that i can't take 2 trains at the same time. Sorry i really don't get it working.

I want to take that specific night train because we made reservations on the night train a few days ago. We thougt it would be possible to use night trains without problems on the interrail pass... :/

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

You'll have to split your journey but not the way you did it now. You have to split in into 2 journeys at a location where the train will have passed midnight, but still outside of Germany, e.g. Padborg (just north of the border). Since this is not a station where this train stops, you'll have to add manual journeys Malmö C - Padborg and Padborg - Hamburg Hbf. It should be there around 2:30. That way, your inbound journey will be linked to the 19th and not the 18th.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

That's a known issue. I'll explain a workaround later, now is dinner time :)

The train is the same. Stops are 23:01 in Denmark on 18th and 5:31 in Germany on 19th. It will not stop at another station in between.

Travel days are no problem just the inbound.

The app will always use my inbound on the 18th.

If i activate the train home on 19th i can't activate the night train. If i activate the night train i can't use the train in germany.

The journeys are seperated but it does not work. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

If 18 April is your last travel day, then indeed, you can only use Interrail until one of the stops of that night train and you'll need a separate ticket for any other trains after that. Remember that the inbound journey is not an extra travel day.

Alternatively, you can buy a normal ticket for the night train and use Interrail on the 19th, if that is cheaper.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Do you take another train after midnight? Then you need a new travel day for the 19.04. and for the inbound problem if you take a train after midnight in Germany you have to add it to the app as an new trip and not together with the nightrain from Denmark.