Skip to main content
Solved

Inbound / Outbound travel days / Night trains

• 18 July 2024
  • 2 replies

Hey everyone,

I'm new to the Interrail Global Pass and have a question about my outbound journey. I know there are probably similar posts out there, but I want to be absolutely sure!

My plan is to take a night train from my home in Italy (let's call it point A) to Austria (point B) on August 1st. I get that only one travel day is used for this, even though I'll arrive in Austria on the 2nd.

Here's where I'm unsure: I need to take two trains from my hometown to point A on the same day (August 1st). I know I can use as many trains as I want on a travel day, but should I add the night train first or the two local trains? I'm worried about messing things up since my outbound journey would have already started.

Does this make sense? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

As for my inbound journey, I'll manually input:

• Point B (Germany) to Villach (Austria)
  • Villach to point A (Italy)
  • Two trains from point A to my hometown

Does that sound right?

Thanks in advance!

PS. seat reservation already done ;)

2 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

There is no need to add journeys in any particular order to the app. The app will sort them chronologically itself.

There are always people telling you to wait to the last minute to add your first journey however, as it will activate your pass. Should you become ill, then you are losing travel days. 

And regarding the limit of two days for inbound and outbound travel: actually what matters is that those 2 days concern using railways in your home country. Even if you do not cross a border, it still counts as inbound/outbound. I believe it is meant to stop people using this international ticket for their domestic journeys. Especially when living in the UK, where train tickets are very expensive, this would be very tempting to do.   

Thank you for your help!