Solved

Interrail Global Pass - does my first country of residence count as home country?

• Rail rookie
  • 1 reply

Hello,

I have tweo questions regarding the interrail global pass:

1. My primary country of residency is Germany, however, I am also registered in the Netherlands as my second country of residency. Does my first country of residency count as my home country that I can only travel twice, or can I choose which one counts?
  2. If Germany counts as my country of residency and I want to travel from France to Poland, or from Switzerland to the Netherlands, can I travel through Germany (if it happens in one day and I do not stop in Germany)? Or do I have to take routes that avoid Germany? Because I obviously use my two travel days in order to leave Germany in the first place and then in order to go back once my travelling is done.

Thank you so much for the answer!

icon

Best answer by rvdborgt 7 July 2022, 15:31

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9
  1. Interesting, since AFAIK the Netherlands does not allow dual residency…
    Anyway, you should be fine choosing either one, as long as you can prove your residency.
  2. You can travel in your country of residence on 2 of your travel days. That includes transit through it, also without stopping.

Thank you so much for your quick answer! That’s really helpful :)

I am an international student living in the Netherlands and, therefore, have my second residency here for the time of my studies. So in my passport it says Germany as my first residency, but I have proof of residency in the Netherlands.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

If you live in the Netherlands, then that is your country of residence. Your German passport has nothing to do with your residency. As your passport differs from your country of residence, you need to bring a proof of your residency in the Netherlands with you on your trip.

However, no one will question if you select Germany as your country of residence as you have a German passport. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Mann kann ja hier ganzen Monat fur nur 9€ fahren, Bus/Strassenbahn inklusive-aber das geht nicht ganz schnell auf längere Strecken und kann rappellvoll sein

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

So in my passport it says Germany as my first residency

Doesn't it just state your nationality? I've never seen a passport with an address in it. ID cards (Personalausweis) are a different matter of course.