Solved

Interrail Global Pass in/outbound journey

I bought the interrail global pass for 3 months and I am not an EU citizens but I have residence permit in the NL, I do understand how the inbound and outbound journey but how can I avoid this since I am going back and forth to NL since I don't want to pay extra for that. Do you have any suggestions?

icon

Best answer by Camilo. 2 November 2022, 13:02

View original

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

I do that too-I am NL and live there, and now have a 3-month pass. I also have a DalVrij for NS-as senior that cost me only 46/month and that covers (with some smart planning-not start in the peaks) all those trips to/fro border and airports.

Otherwise a FLIXBus-depending on where you stay in NL may also be price attractive.

DalVrij for NON-senior cost 107/month but you must also first get a personal chipcard (with foto+name on)

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Your only option would be to return the pass for a refund and buy a new Eurrail pass, but you need to check the conditions in your e-mail as to whether that is possible and what charge it would be.

Other members may know whether you could buy a pass in the Netherlands for internal travel.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I bought the interrail global pass for 3 months and I am not an EU citizens but I have residence permit in the NL, I do understand how the inbound and outbound journey but how can I avoid this since I am going back and forth to NL since I don't want to pay extra for that. Do you have any suggestions?

What non-EU country are you a citizen of? Is it non-European? Because that is what counts.

I am from Indonesia btw. Can I add my trip manually and not put NL as the country to avoid the outbound/inbound knowing that they still give you the QR code??

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

If you have started to use your pass there is nothing you can do about the outbound/inbound rule. You can't add trips manually to travel in NL if you have used the 2 travel days for NL that you have.

If you haven't started the validity of your pass, then you could exchange your Interrail pass for a Eurail pass if the condition for your Interrail pass allows an exchange.

Thank you for the answer, however, what I meant was adding trips manually but change the country besides your country of residence since they still give you the QR. Will the QR still work?

Because tbh I'm just confused why the Interrail is more expensive than the EUrail but they have the limitation for traveling in the country of residence while the EUrail doesn't? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Thank you for the answer, however, what I meant was adding trips manually but change the country besides your country of residence since they still give you the QR. Will the QR still work?

I'm not sure what you mean. You can’t change the country of residence yourself after buying a pass and Eurail's policy is that you need to do an exchange if you have selected the wrong country.

Because tbh I'm just confused why the Interrail is more expensive than the EUrail but they have the limitation for traveling in the country of residence while the EUrail doesn't? 

Eurail and Interrail have the same price. The only difference is the limitation for Interrail on travel in your country of residence, to prevent that Interrail is used to travel regularly there, for example from/to work.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

If you don't add the correct train as a Journey in your Trip you don't have a valid ticket even if you have a valid QR code for that day. If you try to do this you risk getting a heavy fine as you travel without a valid ticket.

If you manually would say that Amsterdam is in Belgium that would certainly not be ok even if the app would allow that.

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

Hi @Nada Gavrila 

As a general rule, you purchase the Pass based on where you live. This implies that you should purchase an Interrail Pass if you are a legal resident of the EU. Adding the journeys manually will not save you from breaking the inbound/outbound restriction. I strongly warn against attempting to go around the rule because doing so could result in a substantial fine from an inspector. Additionally, I advise purchasing additional tickets from your starting point in the Netherlands to the first stop right after the border.

Have a lovely day!

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Additionally, I advise purchasing additional tickets from your starting point in the Netherlands to the first stop right after the border.

@Camilo. A ticket to the border tariff point is enough. A ticket to the first stop after the border can sometimes be cheaper though.