Skip to main content

Hi, I am an international student (non-European passport) currently residing in Belgium. I have been living here for the past two years and hold a valid residence permit card from Belgium. I am planning to visit Germany for 3 days.

I am writing to seek clarification regarding my eligibility to purchase an Interrail Pass. As a non-European passport holder, I am uncertain whether I should opt for an Interrail Pass or a Eurail Pass for my upcoming travel plans. Any other practical advice would also be appreciated.

Thanks

You can choose both. If you buy Interrail you’ll have to bring the residence permit card with you (staff may ask for it). You’ll also have a limitation : on max 2 of the pass days you’ll be able to travel in your home country.

On the other hand with Eurail there’s no such rule. Simply bring your non-European passport with you.

Prices are the same.

Btw depending on your destinations and travel dates it could be a lot cheaper to buy Sparschiene (advance) tickets. Also possible to combine them with the 49€ Deutschlandticket : valid for a calendar month on all regional trains, trams, buses of the country.

Feel free to ask for advice.

Thanks for this detailed information