Interrail Tips; Masterpost

Gonna make a post with useful tips for interrail as I discover them seeing as how the site is sorely lacking in my opinion. My pass is a 1st class one so it will be from that perspective but I assume they will be relevant for all. Will update as I go along.

Tip 1: If you have a first class pass then seat reservations are free in Norway.

Tip 2: Best ways to reserve seats IMO is to either do it directly at the train station(the most stress free way I feel like, or use this page (https://www.interrail.eu/en/plan-your-trip/reservations/how-do-i-book-my-reservations) to figure out where to call if you can’t do it directly at the station. Calling is for sure the best way if possible though. For me, whenever I take a train somewhere, while I’m at the station I just reserve my seat while I’m there, easy, and you save time. Do note, seat reservations are not always neccessary, they will always let you on the train, but if it’s a very popular route then it might be good to reserve it. For example, London - Paris, hugely popular, def reserve.

5 replies

Edit: Tip 3: https://www.b-europe.com/EN/Booking/Pass#DeliveryMethod this site is a lifesaver. I booked my interrail pass through a third party website in my country meaning I couldn’t do online bookings through the interrail site. This site is informative, easy to use and effective. Definitely worth a look.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I booked my interrail pass through a third party website in my country meaning I couldn’t do online bookings through the interrail site.

You should be able to add any pass bought anywhere in your Interrail account, via My Trip and Travellers. Create a new trip and then add a traveller.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

At €* In THIS train you simply will not be admitted via the gates if having NO mandatory (and extra paid for) REServ. Also applies to many of similar trains, mostly hi-speed in the 3 countries also lamented here; ES - FR- IT.

In german there are at least some 100+ blogs/sites/advice etc on exactly the same with many more tips.

Most of these ´secret knowledges´ are not secrete at all, butt seem completely forgotten by todays youth-to the way it even baffles them.

I booked my interrail pass through a third party website in my country meaning I couldn’t do online bookings through the interrail site.

You should be able to add any pass bought anywhere in your Interrail account, via My Trip and Travellers. Create a new trip and then add a traveller.

I had no idea that was there. Thanks! Just did it, unfortunately the reservation tool gives me an error message when I click it though.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I had no idea that was there. Thanks! Just did it, unfortunately the reservation tool gives me an error message when I click it though.

What journey are you trying to book? (origin, destination, date, departure time)?

Could you post a screenshot of the error message?