Interrail Trip (Stockholm-Helsinki route)

• 23 November 2023
  • 8 replies

Hello, I am planning my scandinavian trip with the interrail ticket, but I need some help. The issue is that I want to go from Germany to Copenhagen to Oslo to Stockholm and then to Helsinki, but in the app the Stockholm-Helsinki journey is not shown. You can add the journey manual, but it is too risky. Can someone help me to solve the problem or suggest another option?

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

No you've misunderstood. Taking a ferry does not require using a pass day, even if you get a discount.

The Stockholm - Narvik night train is the best way to go up north. Book in advance through sj.se (add Interrail as a discount).

Yes, I'll go with the train, but I thought I can go with a ferry too. As I mentioned, I did not know that using ferry counts also as a travel day.

Do you have any recommendations for a scandinavian tour like which route is the best one or which journey would make possible to see the northern lights?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Thank you so much for your response. So, may I need buy a ferry ticket from Copenhagen to Oslo too, am I right (if i do not want to use a travel

From Copenhagen to Oslo I guess that you will go by train? And then you will use a travel day. 

Thank you for your help!

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I did not know that a ferry trip is also count as a travel day. 

Any travel for which you only get a discount doesn't require a travel day. A travel day is only required when the travel is 100% covered.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Thank you so much for your response. So, may I need buy a ferry ticket from Copenhagen to Oslo too, am I right (if i do not want to use a travel day)?

You will need to buy a ticket for the ferry. You use the pass to get a discount on the full price. Sometimes it’s easier or cheaper to buy a ticket without the discount!

You don’t use a travel day.

Thank you so much for your response. So, may I need buy a ferry ticket from Copenhagen to Oslo too, am I right (if i do not want to use a travel day)?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

As you go by ferry from Stockholm to Helsinki, you don't add the travel to the app as you don't use a travel day. You only get a discount on the ferry so sometimes ordinary tickets bought well in advance are cheaper as the discount is on full price tickets.