Solved

is this the right pass?

• 18 August 2022
  • 2 replies

Hello! This is the trip I am planning, I’m thinking the 5 days within a month global pass is most suitable? But please leT me know if there’s a more suitable ticket. Thanks in advance!

icon

Best answer by AnnaB 18 August 2022, 15:39

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

It will ONLY-as the name says-cover the trains and these are just a very few in between a mass of buses and other means. It looks to me as not a very clever set up alltogether, as there are also NO trains between SE and FI that far north, plus that you DO have to double check times if you are determined to use trains: over north there mostly just 1/day and bad connections with bus. The trains that do run are meant to link to the capitals, like to STo or HELsinki

There are splendid local and national planners that combine train/bus/ferry/whatever over there, as could be expected from well-organised Scandinavian countries: SE-resplus, FI; Matkahuolta (which was long ago a monthly all-country printed timetable). Bus times can vary an awful lot per season there-and alas, around 12/12 is the EUR-wide major timetable change, so as by now it may not yet be avaialble. The borderpost FI-SE is named Haparanda//Haapaaranttaa and has a EU-sponsored brand new integrated bus/train station on the border, with a giant IKEA. Planners will only work for their own country.

I also hope you are aware that far north in that time there is NO daylight-just a hint of shimmer of light between 11-13 hr. The rest is just pitch-black night.

The Flamsbana gives only discount to passholders.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I think that it might be cheaper to just buy normal tickets. I suggest that you check that.

If you right now book a normal ticket from Kiruna to Abisko that is 125 SEK and that is much less than the cost for one day of a 5 day in a month global pass.