Solved

Language Visa

• 20 August 2022
  • 2 replies

Hello,

my girlfriend is from Thailand but has a language Visa in Germany for the next 6 months. We are wondering if she should buy an interrail or an eurail 3 months ticket. It seems to me that the difference is that the interrail ticket only allows to travel out and back into the country of residence once, whereas the eurail ticket doesn’t have that restriction:

• from the interrail general conditions:
    The Interrail Global Pass is valid for travel in your country of residence during one outbound journey and one inbound journey that occur during travel days at any point in your trip. Read more
  • eurail general conditions don’t include that sentence.

That would mean that she could use the 3 months ticket for all of her train travels even within Germany, including public transportation in town etc. 

From the info on the eurail website (https://www.eurail.com/en/help/interested-in-eurailing/do-i-need-a-eurail-or-an-interrail-pass), I understand that she can choose to use interrail instead, but doesn’t have to. Is that really case?

Can someone shed light into the dark?

Thanks in advance!

icon

Best answer by mcadv 20 August 2022, 16:10

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Say sawasdee khrap to her, and choke dee at the end.

It is ambiguous,  as such the rules are made such (and Deutsche kennen ja überpünktlich, oder? DB nicht-dies ist heuer dann schon zug 3 mit >1 st, zu spät) that there should be no choice. But that dates from old times when all these students etc. were not there.

Best choice for khunying pheuan (lady friend) is EUrail-but this pass is not meant to be used as daily commute from F to K-in case she wanted that. After a while DB-Zugbegleiter will start asking questions then. But up till now noone asked for my ID as check-and my current pass is now 7 days old with travels in 3 countries.

The pass ONLY covers trains-also S-bahn in DE, but nothing else-no U-bahn etc. That is untill 31/8 for the 9€. S-bahn is fairly unique for DE-and AT+CH.

Thank you so much for the response. I agree, while the 9€ ticket is still valid, the question doesn’t really arise. But as it is about to expire, it’s really worth considering using Eurail instead.
Good to know that it appears to be working for you like that.
Khobkhun krap! :-)