Solved

Legitimacy of using Interrail pass - temporary student in Germany

Can I use Interrail pass if I am a student in Germany who has not stayed for more than 6 months?

icon

Best answer by Sebastian Emil Sørensen 9 May 2022, 12:17

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Do you have an official document stating that Germany is your country of residence?

you can read all about it here:

https://www.interrail.eu/en/support/interested-in-interrailing/what-is-my-country-of-residence

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Can I use Interrail pass if I am a student in Germany who has not stayed for more than 6 months?

If you didn’t stay more than 6 months in Germany, you are NOT allowed to use an Interrail pass AFAIK

Edit: Sorry, seems this rule about 6 months doesn’t exist anymore or at least I couldn’t find it anymore in the T&C, so you should be fine.
But you might ask direct at a German railway station.

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

@martinm where did you read about the 6 months? This page doesn’t mention anything about a minimum. It just says that you need to be an official resident. https://www.eurail.com/en/help/interested-in-eurailing/do-i-need-a-eurail-or-an-interrail-pass

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

The 6 month was/is based on the normal term for EU-citizens who live permanently in another country-only after 6 month one is considered to be not a normal tourist anymore, and this also means from that date one has to have some official form of ´aufenthaltsgenehmigung´. It is understandable that large countries with expensive trainsystems-like GB and DE-do not want people to misuse these cheap passes-just compare it to the normal price of a BC100! There have even been some reports from people from GB who went to live that time in foreign country to get hold of a for them supercheap pass to ride the rails (this seems to be for some a special wanted wish-there are many railfans over there).

(Yesterday I bought a promotion 3-month pass/senior and this cost me less as 1 week unlimited travel In GB on a networkpass issued there!)

But its a murky area with the loads of exchange students and other special categories nowadays. It is indeed best to go to a DB counter and ask-you can also buy the passes there on paper-untill 10/5 also with the 50% discount promotion. AND if you can preplan, they could even do a lot of those pesky REServations you may need.

Do you have an official document stating that Germany is your country of residence?

you can read all about it here:

https://www.interrail.eu/en/support/interested-in-interrailing/what-is-my-country-of-residence

Yes, I think so. If I have registered for an address in Germany, does it mean that Germany is my country of residence?

The 6 month was/is based on the normal term for EU-citizens who live permanently in another country-only after 6 month one is considered to be not a normal tourist anymore, and this also means from that date one has to have some official form of ´aufenthaltsgenehmigung´. It is understandable that large countries with expensive trainsystems-like GB and DE-do not want people to misuse these cheap passes-just compare it to the normal price of a BC100! There have even been some reports from people from GB who went to live that time in foreign country to get hold of a for them supercheap pass to ride the rails (this seems to be for some a special wanted wish-there are many railfans over there).

(Yesterday I bought a promotion 3-month pass/senior and this cost me less as 1 week unlimited travel In GB on a networkpass issued there!)

But its a murky area with the loads of exchange students and other special categories nowadays. It is indeed best to go to a DB counter and ask-you can also buy the passes there on paper-untill 10/5 also with the 50% discount promotion. AND if you can preplan, they could even do a lot of those pesky REServations you may need.

Hey, thanks for sharing your experience. Does anyone want to join me at the DB counter on the last day of the promotion? XP