Solved

Looking for the right pass Spain, France, Italy and Greece

• 1 March 2022
  • 5 replies

Hello, My 4 friends and I are planning a trip in beginning in April and ending in May. We are visiting Spain, France, Italy and Greece. We have some flights so we are only accounting for 5-6 train days while in Spain, France and Italy. We were looking at the 2 months with 10 days of travel (the eurail global pass). But we are wondering how if these extra days will pay off while being in Greece. And how the ferries in Greece work woth the global pass? We would like the cheapest option and one that makes the most sense. Let us know what you would recommend. Thanks, Hilary

icon

Best answer by rvdborgt 2 March 2022, 00:19

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

To see if a pass really pays off, you need to make a plan with all train and ferry trips and price them, with and without using the pass. You can use the websites of French railways, Spanish railways and Italian railways. And I think Trainline also covers these countries, if you don't like the railways’ websites (some are less than optimal...). Since long-distance trains in France, Italy and Spain all require reservations, you also need to price those in.

As to ferries in Greece, for some you get a reduction, see the Eurail Pass Benefits in Greece page. If you only get a reduction, then you don't need to use a travel day. So if you're only looking at 5-6 train days, then a 5-day or 7-day pass could be enough. Or a 4-day pass if 1/2 journeys are inexpensive. Or no pass, if you manage to get cheap advance train fares (do take into account you often can't change cheap tickets).

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

PASSes are this month 10% off-the total price can be found on the site, also depends on your age (ju+se-nior get further discount).

As a rough rule; For trips IN GR (and there are  currently NO INTern. trains at all to/fro GR) a passday will cost more as normal tix, plus the rail´net´work is very small indeed and of course does not cover the many isles!

ESpana=Spain: note that this country is very often lamented at at being very UNfriendly to passholders: all trains must be reserved=pay extra and the real long-dist trains are often fully booked.

6:23 PM

You sent

Hello . Two of us are starting our train journey in Rome after staying there for 3 nights... Then on to Zurich for 2 nights, then Berlin for 2 nights, Paris for 3 nights and then finally to London where we will stay for 3 nights before flying home to Australia. Which rail pass is appropriate? Is there a cheaper way of jumping to countries eg, Paris - Zurich - London. Also I intend to use the tickets whilst moving around within a country. Would appreciate your assistance please...I have checked the planner but am not confident if I did it right !...My trip is in May hence can I buy the ticket now? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

6:23 PM

You sent

Hello . Two of us are starting our train journey in Rome after staying there for 3 nights... Then on to Zurich for 2 nights, then Berlin for 2 nights, Paris for 3 nights and then finally to London where we will stay for 3 nights before flying home to Australia. Which rail pass is appropriate? Is there a cheaper way of jumping to countries eg, Paris - Zurich - London. Also I intend to use the tickets whilst moving around within a country. Would appreciate your assistance please...I have checked the planner but am not confident if I did it right !...My trip is in May hence can I buy the ticket now? 

I count 4 big travel days. So I would suggest a 4 day pass - in a month. No other destinations planned, or some daytrips from one of your city bases or trotting around on trains to enjoy the Alpine view? The more destinations, the more pass days you need of course.

Local transport (metro, tram, bus) in cities is not included (except S-trains, but no RER in Paris)

Since you’re very early to plan, you might want to book ordinary Eurostar tickets from Paris to London. The single cost this in advance will be probably cheaper than cost of a pass day + seat reservation (30 EUR!). But this leaves you a back-up day, in case you would want to include an extra day or split up a journey or a day trip. Berlin-Paris easily takes 9 hours e.g..

You might want to wait a bit and wait on a discount of 10% in the low demand periods (February-March, maybe December, usually you can activate those until 11 months after purchase).

Thanks much…….appreciated