Solved

Many newbie questions! (country of residence, departure location, validity)

• 29 July 2022
  • 7 replies

Hi guys, I just found out about Eurail, and I am full of questions!

1. I am Portuguese, and my Passport is Portuguese, whoever, I am a resident in the UK and my Passport also states it was issued here - does this still count as being European?
  2. When booking a trip, let’s say Berlin would be my first stop, do I start the trip from London to Berlin, or would I need to travel to Berlin first, and the other way around? As in, do I include London as a travel day both ways?
  3. The (example) 3 days across one month, so that means only the actual travel covers one day, but I can stay for example 5 days in that destination? If a train takes longer from x country to x country than 24 hours (I doubt but just to understand), is that also seen as one day of travel?

Sorry for all the questions! Just making sure I get it right before booking in :)

icon

Best answer by Camilo. 31 July 2022, 12:50

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

Hi there!

Thank you for all your questions. I will try to answer all of them:

1. As a resident in the UK, you are entitled to buy an Interrail Pass. Please see paragraph 2.1 under this conditions: https://www.interrail.eu/content/dam/pdfs/terms-and-conditions/CoU%20SCIC-RPT_v7.pdf . Let me remind you that you could be asked on the train to show an official confirmation of residence in the UK. 
  2. When travelling, you must add the journey on your App (if mobile Pass) and activate the QR code that serves as a ticket on the train. If you first journey is London - Berlin, you must add this journey on the App and make the corresponding seat reservations (if required). 
  3. This depends on the kind of Pass you purchase. If you purchase a continuous Pass (1,2 or 3 months), the travel days start running from the activation of your preference. If you choose instead a flex Pass, you activate the days according to your journey. Please see this information to choose the best Pass for you: https://www.interrail.eu/en/interrail-passes/choose-right-interrail-pass

Good luck!

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

NOTE-atencao! 3 days/M is ONLY for 1 country-to make these trips you need GLObal pass= MIN 4 days. Eurail is for non-Europeans and has nothing whatsoever to do with the EU.

This €* MUST of course always be REServed and is quite costly-and also in hi season very hard to get.

Hi, thank you so much for clarifying this for me! :)

Whoever, I am still confused ahah with nr 3! So sorry!

Say I buy a one month pass, with 4 travel days - this means I can be travelling within one months time, but only travel by train (or what I book in within my Eurail Pass) during 4 days? For example:

One month’s pass, 4 travelling day - stay 2 days in each city within one month’s time, as long as the days to travel from X to X country counts as four total days of travelling all together, and back to London? 

NOTE-atencao! 3 days/M is ONLY for 1 country-to make these trips you need GLObal pass= MIN 4 days. Eurail is for non-Europeans and has nothing whatsoever to do with the EU.

This €* MUST of course always be REServed and is quite costly-and also in hi season very hard to get.

Hi! Thank you for your answer.

‘s quite costly-and also in hi season very hard to get.’ - doesn’t the Eurail pass cover all travelling costs (within their service)?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hi! Thank you for your answer.

‘s quite costly-and also in hi season very hard to get.’ - doesn’t the Eurail pass cover all travelling costs (within their service)?

No, the cost for reservations is not included in the Interrail pass. The pass holder reservation fee for the Eurostar is about 30 EUR in 2nd class and there is a limited number of pass holder seats available. Pn popular departures pass holder seats sell out weeks, and sometimes months, in advance. 

oh wo, I wasn’t understanding that at all. I was under the impression the pass would allow you to book in within their train services across Europe and that would be it. Thank you so much for everyone’s help! :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hi, thank you so much for clarifying this for me! :)

Whoever, I am still confused ahah with nr 3! So sorry!

Say I buy a one month pass, with 4 travel days - this means I can be travelling within one months time, but only travel by train (or what I book in within my Eurail Pass) during 4 days? For example:

One month’s pass, 4 travelling day - stay 2 days in each city within one month’s time, as long as the days to travel from X to X country counts as four total days of travelling all together, and back to London? 

To address your question on travel days:

Global passes come in 2 forms, the monthly pass which allows X months of travel from the day you start and a flexipass which allows you X travel days in Y months. 

A pass must be activated within 11 months of purchase.

ALL global passes include 2 days where you can travel in your home country (as shown on your pass), referred to as an outbound day and an inbound day. These are not extra days on a flexi pass and can be used as any of your travel days during your pass period in any order and without obligation to use them.

So if you were to fly you could use all your days outside your home country. Equally you could use a travel day to get to the airport as there is also no obligation to cross the border on a train.

Travel days start at 0000 and end at 23,59 CET. Your pass entitles you to travel on any valid train scheduled to depart in that time, even if it terminates the next day e.g. a night sleeper without needing to use another travel day.

Reservations are covered elsewhere.