Non EU-citizen residing in EU

I am a US citizen who recently moved to Munich, Germany to study for a semester. I am in the process of applying for residency. I do not yet have a residency card and have been here less than 3 months, all I have is a paper saying that I have a registered address in Munich. Can I buy a Interrail pass? What extent of proof do I need of my residency?


If I buy it now, can I wait to activate it until I get an official residency card or does the term start the moment I make the purchase?


Best answer by Dominik Peters 13 May 2022, 03:11

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Please note that Interrail is not only for EU People but also for all people from Europe the continent including Russia and Turkey. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

The OFFICIal rule is you need an OFFICIal ´aufenthhaltsausweis/bestaetigung=which you can only get after having lived there for 3 or 6 monthes

You can buy a pass before you activate it.

If the document saying that you have a registered address in Munich is government-issued and has a government stamp on it, this may be enough for interrail eligibility. The conditions of use state: “Residency can be proven by means of official residence documents issued by the government. A residency document must clearly prove that the Pass holder is registered in the country where they effectively live at the moment of the start of the Interrail or Eurail experience.” However you could have some awkward moments on the train if a conductor disagrees with this interpretation of the conditions.