Solved

Outbound journey with transfers over 2 days (global pass)

Hello,

I have an issue. I got the global pass and I have already bought seats for my initial outbound journey, through interrail website. It seemed fine, but when I enter this travel in the railplanner app, even though it is one trip with one transfer, it is displayed as several trips.

The thing is: I start my journey on August 21st, but the second train of the day (a night train) is at 0:30 AM (so August 22nd), and the departure of this final train is still in my country of residence.

So which date am I supposed to set as my ‘outbound journey’? 21 or 22? Or am I just not supposed to be able to do this trip, despite interrail allowing me to book it in the first place?

(If I understood correctly what I read on the website, if the night train had departed 31 min earlier, not only I would not have an issue on the outbound journey date, but this would also have counted as just 1 travel day ...)

To sum up:

August 21st : France → France (transfer time)

August 22nd : France (0:30 AM) → Austria

icon

Best answer by AnnaB 29 May 2022, 14:09

View original

5 replies

Yes, we initially wanted to take the nighttrain in Paris on Friday but it is unfortunately unavailable. And when we checked for Sunday, the change in Paris between the 2 train stations (you must take the subway and stuff), seemed a bit short, and train in France arent really reliable about their schedule… that’s why we choose the Strasbourg option. Without knowing this stuff about the outbound date :(

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

You could catch the Nighttrain already in Paris (board before midnight :) )
Or cross the border from Strassbourg via Offenburg to Karlsruhe with regionaltrains and catch the Nightjet to Linz in Karlsruhe.

Hello mcadv.
I’m not sure I understand. If we forget the app side of the issue, is my travel allowed by the interrail global pass or not?

Can I do:

August 21st : Dijon (France) → Strasbourg (France)

followed by

August 22nd : Strasbourg (France) → Linz (Austria)

while being resident of France?

When I booked the trip on interrail, I set Dijon → Linz and it suggested this trip.

I’m okay with 2 travel days being charged, but If I understood correctly, we can only set 1 date as the ‘outbound date’, so I don’t know if this is allowed at all, and if it is, which date I am supposed to set as the outbound date (21 or 22)

edit: oops, answered before seeing AnnaB’s answer. 
Thanks Anna. So this is really a shame as this all happens because of a 31 min delay… Also the main advantage of the global pass was for these 2 trips, as trains in Austria are not really expensive. So if I have to book the train in France myself, the pass will end up not being profitable…

I guess I’ll try to cancel everything, but this might be even more expensive :(

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

That journey will use both your outbound and your inbound travel day as you change trains after midnight CET.

What you can to is to purchase a normal ticket for your first trip in France. Otherwise you will have to purchase a normal ticket from the French border to your home when you return as you already have used  both your travel days in France when leaving. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

More exact details would have been much more helpful for you, now it remains guessing.

It is as such NOT possible to do on 1 travelday-on the mobile app 2 days will be charged automatically.

There have been several remarks/complaints/questions about exactly same (and 99% from young Germans) so there is more info on those.