Solved

Overnight connection from Vienna to Hannover

• 5 October 2022
  • 7 replies

Hey,

I looked everywhere for a specific answer but didn’t found anything so hopefully someone can help me :)

I want to take an overnight connection from Vienna to Hanover on Sunday the 16.10.22 but I would need to change from an IC to an ICE at Nuernberg at exactly midnight, So the ICE departs at 00:17 AM on Monday. Do I need a new travelling day for that connection or does it still count as a “Nighttrain” and I can use this connection?

Help would be highly appreciated

icon

Best answer by Al_G 5 October 2022, 01:30

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

If any train is scheduled to depart after 00.00 it counts as that day, you can only continue past midnight by staying on a train you boarded (or were scheduled to board) before midnight without requiring the next days pass to be used.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Looking at that journey, train NJ490 from Vienna at 20.13 goes straight through to Hanover, arr at 06.49, only availability on it are seats at €14, no couchettes or sleepers.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

OR-all for free, but longer time in train: go a little earlier by RailJet to MÜnchen and that train dep. 23.00 as ICE  from there to Hamburg-via Hannover. Can RES if wanted, optional.

The NJ is by experience always late next mornings-at least 1 hr.

@mcadv thanks a lot for the answer that’s propably the one I’ll take. But if I understood you right I can take the ICE in Munich at sunday with the same Daypass although the arrival will be on monday?

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Yes if you enter a train before midnight Central European Time you only use the day of the departure as travel day. If you change a train after midnight 2 days.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I can take the ICE in Munich at sunday with the same Daypass although the arrival will be on monday?

Yes you can. As long as you board before midnight. The arrival time is not relevant, only the (planned) departure time:

https://www.interrail.eu/en/support/interested-in-interrailing/what-is-a-travel-day

Alright thank you all a lot! Now I can finally look forward to the trip :)