Solved

Pass(es) needed for Austria, Germany, Switzerland, Italy

I’m pretty overwhelmed trying to figure out what passes may be necessary for June 2023 trip for 4 travelers (2 adults, 2 youth). Could someone assist? Generally, I think my questions are:

1. Do we need Global Passes, and what exactly will it cover/not cover of the travel locations below? If not, what do you suggest? Is an extra pass required within Germany, Switzerland, Austria, or Italy?
  2. Are there certain times or lines which might require actual reservations? If so, should I book those far in advance or a couple days prior? 

Below is our itinerary:

• Day 1 (13 Jun 2023): Arrive at Vienna airport, get to Westbanhof (Might this be covered by Global Pass?),
  • Day 2 - Vienna (will Global pass cover getting to and from Westbahnhof to Stephansplatz/Vienna?)
  • Day 3 - Vienna to Salzburg
  • Day 4 - Salzburg to Munich
  • Day 4-5- In and around Munich (Does Global pass cover travel within Munich, To/From Dachau?)
  • Day 6 - Munich to Zurich, then Zurich to Lucerne (This is where I get really confused. Are Switzerland’s trains included with Global Pass or do I need something extra?)
  • Day 7 - Lucern to Interlaken, then to Lauterbrunnen (More swiss confusion)
  • Day 8 - from Lauterbrunnen to Jungraujoch and back to Lauterbrunnen
  • Day 9 - Lucern to Bern (Can we travel in and around Bern or do we need some sort of City pass?)
  • Day 10 - Bern to Murten to Gruyeres to Bern (Really confused what may or may not be included with Global pass here)
  • Day 11 - Bern to Verona, italy (Is there a recommended route? high speed vs. scenic route, etc? Are advanced reservations required for this?)
  • day 12 - Back and forth from Verona to Venice 

Apologies for being so confused. Any general and/or detailed advice is sincerely appreciated.  

icon

Best answer by thibcabe 27 March 2023, 21:47

View original

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

In general: Global interrail/eurail is for travel in multiple countries.

City/urban transport such as bus, tram, metro/underground/u-bahn, boats are not included.

Suburban rail/s-bahn is covered.

The rail journeys you list are covered with the exception of the tourist lines from Interlaken towards Jungfrau, you can get a 25% discount as a passholder.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

So it’s going to be a long post !

The Global Pass is valid on almost all European trains, there are some exceptions for mountain railways though. No buses or trams are included. Boats sometimes are (Lake Thun and Lake Brienz in Switzerland are the only one I could think of right now). You get discounts on mountain railways (25-50%). While using a pass day you can board as many trains as you want between 00:00-23:59. Simply board and look for a free seat.

Calculation with the 10-day Global Pass (338$) :

• Day 1 The Global Pass would be valid until Vienna Hbf but it is a waste to use a travel day. Regular tickets cost 4,30€ including bus or trams
  • Day 2 Use local tickets (maybe there are city-wide day passes)
  • Day 3 PASS DAY 1 Simply board the train and find a free seat (optional reservations possible)
  • Day 4 PASS DAY 2 Same as day 3, you could go to Dachau that day (to save money). All trains included
  • Day 5 Suburban S-Bahn trains would be included but not worth it. Buy local tickets valid on S-Bahn, U-Bahn (subway), buses, trams
  • Day 6 PASS DAY 3 Optional reservation but recommended between Zurich (4,50€ per seat) as the train can be crowded.
  • Day 7 PASS DAY 4 Lucerne - Interlaken (included), boat trip Brienz - Interlaken would be too. Interlaken - Lauterbrunnen : 25% discount
  • Day 8 Lauterbrunnen - Jungfraujoch (25% discount only) : 151.20 CHF (do not buy in advance and only go up if the weather is nice, otherwise a waste of money). No need to use a pass day to get the discount. If you travel back to Lucerne, then use a pass day
  • Day 9 PASS DAY 5 Lucerne - Bern (but when do you travel back to Lucerne from Lauterbrunnen ?). Lauterbrunnen - Interlaken : 25% discount, Interlaken - Thun by boat (included) and then train to Bern would be a very nice option (or simply take the train all the way). Transportation within the city (bus, trams) not included
  • Day 10 PASS DAY 6 Trains included
  • Day 11 PASS DAY 7 11€ seat reservation on the cross-border EC, 10€ Frecciarossa within Italy. Scenic route would be : Bern - Old Lötschberg Line - Brig - Milan - Verona
  • Day 12 PASS DAY 8 Verona - Venice : regional trains included, 10€ seat reservation fee if you want to take the slightly faster Frecciarossa train

As you’d have 1 or 2 pass days left, you could also go to Dachau on Day 5 instead of Day 4

Let me know for any other questions

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hi,

first Thing is only trains of the participating companies at Eurail are included with exceptions. 

Public transport in the city are mostly not included. 

Switzerland is included. Did you read somewhere something else? I’m asking because some other people are asking if Switzerland is included. Map of included rail lines in Switzerland: https://www.sbb.ch/content/dam/infrastruktur/trafimage/karten/karte-geltungsbereich-InterRail-EuRail.pdf

• Day 1 Vienna airport - Wien Westbanhof covered if you use trains of ÖBB (Austrian Railways) - RJX, RJ, IC, EC, S-Bahn, R, REX. Public transportation like U-Bahn (Metro - underground), busses or tramway not included. CAT (City Airport Train) not included.
  • Day 2 - Vienna (will Global pass cover getting to and from Westbahnhof to Stephansplatz/Vienna?). No - there is no S-Bahn station at Stephansplatz
  • Day 3 - Vienna to Salzburg. included, reservation optional
  • Day 4 - Salzburg to Munich. included, reservation optional
  • Day 4-5- In and around Munich (Does Global pass cover travel within Munich, To/From Dachau?) included, all S-Bahn, RB, RE and other local and intercity trains. No public transport like metro (U-Bahn). 
  • Day 6 - Munich to Zurich, then Zurich to Lucerne. included, reservation optional. FYI boats of BLS on lake Thun are included. 
  • Day 7 - Lucern to Interlaken, then to Lauterbrunnen. included till Interlaken. Some Discount (25%) to Lauterbrunnen.
  • Day 8 - from Lauterbrunnen to Jungraujoch and back to Lauterbrunnen. Not included, some discount possible (25%). Very expensive. 
  • Day 9 - Lucern to Bern (Can we travel in and around Bern or do we need some sort of City pass?). Train to Bern included. In the city you could use S-Bahn, but I don’t know Bern. Like said for other citys, Tramway, Bus and other public transport not included. 
  • Day 10 - Bern to Murten to Gruyeres to Bern included
  • Day 11 - Bern to Verona, italy (Is there a recommended route? high speed vs. scenic route, etc? Are advanced reservations required for this?) what you like more, you can go via Gotthard Base Tunnel or Löthberg Base Tunnel directly with change in Milan, Gotthard scenic line or Lötschberg scenic line (with changes), via Gotthard and than via St Moritz and Bernina Railway or via Voralpen and Chur and Bernina to Milan.     Reservations are compulsory for international and national rides in Italy on long distance trains like EC, IC and high speed FR. Also the Touristic trains like Bernina or Glacier Express have mandatory reservations. You can use local trains on the line instead (less tourist and you can mostly open the windows and look outside). For more information, look what you like most to do. And ask here for more tipps. 
  • day 12 - Back and forth from Verona to Venice included, you can use “high speed” FR - Frecciarossa trains with compulsory reservation (but on this route there is no high speed line, so the trains are not so much faster. Or local express trains. Just hop on. 

• Day 8 Lauterbrunnen - Jungfraujoch (25% discount only) : 151.20 CHF (do not buy in advance and only go up if the weather is nice, otherwise a waste of money). No need to use a pass day to get the discount. If you travel back to Lucerne, then use a pass day
  • Day 9 PASS DAY 5 Lucerne - Bern (but when do you travel back to Lucerne from Lauterbrunnen ?). Lauterbrunnen - Interlaken : 25% discount, Interlaken - Thun by boat (included) and then train to Bern would be a very nice option (or simply take the train all the way). Transportation within the city (bus, trams) not included

Good catch. 

It should have read: 

• Day 9 - Lauterbrunnen to Bern (Staying in Lauterbrunnen for Day 7 and Day 8, leaving Day 9 in the morning.)

I can’t find a way to edit my post, but we aren’t going back to Lucerne, so I guess it’s basically Interlaken to Bern. I like the option of taking a boat in or out of Interlaken. Where can I find those options mapped out, or timetables for them? Thanks again to everyone so far, for you help. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I can’t find a way to edit my post, but we aren’t going back to Lucerne, so I guess it’s basically Interlaken to Bern. I like the option of taking a boat in or out of Interlaken. Where can I find those options mapped out, or timetables for them? Thanks again to everyone so far, for you help. 

Use www.sbb.ch for Swiss timetables (all public transport is included in the planner).

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Indeed the SBB app is very useful (also for trains all over Europe actually). If you only see train connections (as it should as they’re quicker), deselect the train box.

Boat schedules can also be found here : https://www.bls-schiff.ch/sites/default/files/2023-03/Fahrplan_BLS-Schifffahrt_2023-24.pdf

The Global Pass is valid on almost all European trains, there are some exceptions for mountain railways though. No buses or trams are included. Boats sometimes are (Lake Thun and Lake Brienz in Switzerland are the only one I could think of right now). You get discounts on mountain railways (25-50%). While using a pass day you can board as many trains as you want between 00:00-23:59. Simply board and look for a free seat.

Calculation with the 10-day Global Pass (338$) :

• Day 1 The Global Pass would be valid until Vienna Hbf but it is a waste to use a travel day. Regular tickets cost 4,30€ including bus or trams
  • Day 2 Use local tickets (maybe there are city-wide day passes)
  • Day 3 PASS DAY 1 Simply board the train and find a free seat (optional reservations possible)
  • Day 4 PASS DAY 2 Same as day 3, you could go to Dachau that day (to save money). All trains included
  • Day 5 Suburban S-Bahn trains would be included but not worth it. Buy local tickets valid on S-Bahn, U-Bahn (subway), buses, trams
  • Day 6 PASS DAY 3 Optional reservation but recommended between Zurich (4,50€ per seat) as the train can be crowded.
  • Day 7 PASS DAY 4 Lucerne - Interlaken (included), boat trip Brienz - Interlaken would be too. Interlaken - Lauterbrunnen : 25% discount
  • Day 10 PASS DAY 6 Trains included
  • Day 11 PASS DAY 7 11€ seat reservation on the cross-border EC, 10€ Frecciarossa within Italy. Scenic route would be : Bern - Old Lötschberg Line - Brig - Milan - Verona
  • Day 12 PASS DAY 8 Verona - Venice : regional trains included, 10€ seat reservation fee if you want to take the slightly faster Frecciarossa train

As you’d have 1 or 2 pass days left, you could also go to Dachau on Day 5 instead of Day 4

Let me know for any other questions

Hello again! Trying to book the seat reservations for day 11 (above) for around 8:00 AM on 23 June, 2023 on Eurail’s website. I don’t see the 10€ Frecciarossa within Italy” as an option, just the EC. Am I missing it? Doing something wrong? Is FR not part of Eurail?

Hello again! Trying to book the seat reservations for day 11 (above) for around 8:00 AM on 23 June, 2023 on Eurail’s website. I don’t see the 10€ Frecciarossa within Italy” as an option, just the EC. Am I missing it? Doing something wrong? Is FR not part of Eurail?

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hi, try on austrian railways ÖBB website tickets.oebb.at search for only one leg. Click on one way ticket option and Interrail/Eurail as discount, so you get a reservation. Same for the EC Switzerland-Italy.

Isn't there a direct train without change from Zürich (so you don't need to pay the reservation two times). Reservation optional on the IC in Switzerland. 

Or is your plan to do a scenic ride to milan?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

The most straight-forward route would be via Brig (1h shorter). You could also go via Zurich true. Either :

- Bern - Brig 06:07 - 07:11

- Brig - Venezia S. Lucia 07:44 - 12:42 11€

or this option :

- Bern - Milano Centrale 07:34 - 10:40 11€

- Milano Centrale - Venezia S. Lucia 11:45 - 14:12 13€

Btw Frecciarossa trains within Italy now cost 13€.