Solved

Pass Holder reservations Barcelona - Marseille

• 18 March 2024
  • 4 replies

I’m new to Eurail so apologies for my knowledge not being up to scratch.

I hold a Eurail 2nd Class Global Pass and looked to make a seat reservation on this route for upcoming July. The Eurail site indicates reservations are not available until 90 days prior yet they seem to already be for sale on Rail Europe website. However the pass is not eligible for the direct route - is this because it is 2nd Class? Can I only use it on the train with a change in Narbonne?

Also, in this situation where seats are for sale but not open to passholders, is there a risk that passholders could miss out on a seat, or are a certain number of seats reserved for passholders.

Thanks!

icon

Best answer by rvdborgt 18 March 2024, 09:28

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

The Eurail website mentions incorrect booking horizons for some trains and also enforces them for no reason.

Pass reservations for the direct Barcelona to Marseille AVE are only possible via Renfe (Spanish railways), at a ticket office in Spain.

OK thanks for the advice, not something I can do online then? seems strange when non-direct reservations for the same journey can be made. 😊

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

OK thanks for the advice, not something I can do online then? seems strange when non-direct reservations for the same journey can be made. 😊

Unfortunately nothing online if you want the direct Renfe train. Renfe still live in the dark ages!

You can reserve the SNCF trains online, but they are indirect and will cost you more in reservation fees.

As you may see, the non-direct connections are run by french TGV (with connecting IC) not by spanish AVE.

For french TGV / IC you do get reservations online; but these are more expensive.