Solved

Pass validity; Ferry company Italy - Greece

• 9 July 2021
  • 6 replies

Hi everyone,

I want to take the ferry from Italy (Ancona or Bari - doesn’t matter) to Igoumenitsa in Greece. Does somebody know which ferry company is included in the Interrall Global Pass? Or can I just board any ferry of any company and show my Interrail Pass and it will be accepted?

Thank you! Cheers, Annabelle

icon

Best answer by Nanja 12 July 2021, 11:22

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi, The Ancona/Bari to Igoumenitsa routes are included with the 6- day Greek Pass with Superfast Ferries/Anek Lines. Here you'll find all the information regarding the ferries covered by the Greek Pass. With the Interrail Global Pass you do not have free passage like with the Greek Pass but you will have discounted passage of 30% available to you. For more information, have a look here. Cheers:relaxed:

Hi there, for the superfast ferry italy and Greece is also included in the global pass! free of charge for a deck seat. between greece and italy.

Global Pass holders are entitled to a 100% discount (free) air seats or dormitories (where available) for 1st class Pass holders and free deck passage for 2nd class Pass holders.

https://www.superfast.com/en-gb/special-offers/sail-rail

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hi there, for the superfast ferry italy and Greece is also included in the global pass! free of charge for a deck seat. between greece and italy.

Global Pass holders are entitled to a 100% discount (free) air seats or dormitories (where available) for 1st class Pass holders and free deck passage for 2nd class Pass holders.

It is not free because Superfast invented a charge that only applies to global passholders - which means you only have a discount.

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

It is not free because Superfast invented a charge that only applies to global passholders - which means you only have a discount.

Does this create any kind of grey area around travel day use? I know that certain trains (i.e. EIPs in Poland and certain Austria-Italy routes) do technically require separate non-reservation-related surcharges which only apply to passholders, but they still use travel days.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

There is eternal confusion-also due to the imprecise wording about these ferries. Plus that many seem so brainwashed to believe that discount means lower price, that they forget the next ferry by comp. B may be cheaper in the end-and even without any discount. There are some 10-12 different ferries running IT-GR from also various ports in IT, several are however in practice limited to those with cars.

I get the impression it is now as this;

On a RAIL=trainspass you will only get discount. Most of the ferries offer this discount anyway to all juniors, the bulk of those who ask and make this trip. In this case no travel day is needed.

It is FREE-and only on this specific ferry and even then with surcharges for porttax, fuel, hi-season etc. on that magic GREEK ISLANDS Ferry pass for 6 days (not the cheaper for 4 days), the pass that is hard to get as its only paper and often seems to lead to frustrations as it also seems quite hard to get it work and make the RES. PLus that its often completely unneeded too.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Does this create any kind of grey area around travel day use? I know that certain trains (i.e. EIPs in Poland and certain Austria-Italy routes) do technically require separate non-reservation-related surcharges which only apply to passholders, but they still use travel days.

You have a point… I also thought about it since I wrote my previous comment. I think there should be a limit to the price of a supplement or reservation, related to the full fare, that determines whether you need a travel day. I'm not sure what that limit should be but surely having to pay 40 or 50€, and effectively having only a 50% discount, should not qualify as free travel for which you need a travel day.