Solved

Permanent resident in Australia and Italian Passport

• 14 July 2022
  • 5 replies

Hi All!

I lived in Australia for the last 5 years and I got my Permanent Residency 1 year ago.

I came back for a long vacation in Europe and I want to make sure I can do Eurail pass instead of Interrail so I can travel in Italy as well (my country of origin).

Just to clarify, I only own the Italian passport at the moment, is the Australian license enough to prove I am an Australian resident?

Thanks!

icon

Best answer by AnnaB 14 July 2022, 14:19

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

As long as you can prove that you are a resident in Australia you are fine with the Italian passport and Eurail. Does the Australian licence say that you live in Australia?

As long as you can prove that you are a resident in Australia you are fine with the Italian passport and Eurail. Does the Australian licence say that you live in Australia?

Hello Anna,

the license includes my picture and my residential address in Sydney, however that’s the point, I am not sure this will be considered enough as a proof of residence since is isn’t literally specified.

However I’ve just figured out that I may request a AIRE certificate, that’s for Italians living abroad.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Here is a topic on the same subject.

https://community.eurail.com/eurail-interrail-passes-41/aus-resident-with-european-passport-eurail-id-for-activation-5541

The answer from Customer Support in the last reply is wrong however. If you are a resident outside of Europe you can use Eurail even if you are a European citizen.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

If you will travel in Europe but not so often in Italy, take Interrail. In Italy you are only allowed to use 2 days 

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

As long as you remember to travel with your permanent residency card, you are eligible for travel with a Eurail pass. You can find more information about residency over here