Skip to main content

Took a train yesterday from Madrid to Malaga which got delayed by a little over 30 minutes.

Upon arrival at Malaga some passengers were queuing up to file for refund at the station ticket counter but since I was in a hurry I didn't bother.

Also, since I only paid the reservation fee in combination with Global Eurail pass and not the full ticket price, I wasn't sure if there are refunds on the reservation fee as well just like full fare tickets.

Thought I would ask here if someone  can shed some light on this... basically the query is two-fold: 

1. Are the reservation charges refundable on delayed Renfe high speed trains?

2. Can a refund be claimed online or does one have to physically fill a form at the counter?

Thanks in advance for your time. ..

I stopped by at the Renfe counter in Girona this afternoon, on my way back and the lady there promptly refunded 50% (on each pass/reservation fee) for the half hour delay back to the card used previously. 

Thanks for all the replies...

The total reservation fee for 4 passengers on this delayed trip was €42.20.

Will ask Renfe when I'm at the station next time... 

Regards.

You might get compensation via RENFE on the reservation fee.

You have to ask directly RENFE. They have some other rules with compensations also before 30min. Keep in mind that normaly you will not get compensations under 4 Euro.

The rules of the European Union say from 1h delay you get 25% back of a ticket and 50% if it is more than 2 hours. Via Eurail you get directly something back if you ask, but only if over 1h delay. 

Normally you don't get any compensation unless the delay is at least 60 minutes.