reservation issue

• 6 October 2023
  • 36 replies

Badge
  • Keeps calm and carries on
  • 45 replies

Hello

I have a global Eurail pass. Tomorrow I have a train going to Paris from Barcelona Sants. I paid for a reservation to Nimes then train switch and another reservation to Paris airport.

Change of plans,

I need to go to Paris, Gare de Lyon station now. This would be via my first train that I have reserved to only Nimes. (It’s a direct train).

Could I just stay on the train to gare de Lyon. I can change my Eurail ticket easily enough. Thx for any advice. 

36 replies

Badge

I should mention. The reservation to Nimes or Gare de Lyon is the same price. I have paid enough. Couldn’t make a new reservation, not available. After Nimes only one more stop before Gare de Lyon.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

No. You have only reserved to Nimes, the most likely scenario is that the seat you booked will also have a booking for someone else from Nimes - Paris who will be expecting the seat to be empty.

As you have another reservation to Paris Airport? (CDG I’m assuming) you can use this and then use local trains to Paris.

You can always approach the train staff before Nimes, show them your pass and reservations and ASK if there are any free seats you could take to stay on the train, they may or may not allow you to stay on.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

The problem is that you don’t have a reservation on the train you want to take after Nîmes. Even if you do have a reservation to ‘Paris’, even if the price would have been the same.

Strictly, you would have a problem if the conductor checked your reservation. And Nîmes to Paris is a long way to try travelling without a reservation. Saying that, I’v been on the wrong TGV before (accidentally) and the conductor was not happy, but he didn’t charge me anything. I had to stand in the bar, because there were no seats.

There should be availability for a new reservation at €20, unless the train is completely sold out. What time do you want to go?

Badge

Thanks for the reply. That’s what I figured, I was hoping for a miracle, lol.  

Cheers, Brian

Badge

Any point talking to the Spain conductor, wait for France conductor or talk to both? 

Badge

14:17 tomorrow it leaves Nimes, I can’t find my train number leaving Nimes to book a reservation, different ones, train switch would be very fast. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

If you’re on TGV 9708 or 9704, arriving in Paris Gare de Lyon 1718 or 1918, then there’s availability for a reservation from Nîmes in both classes at €20.

https://travel.b-europe.com/Eurail-GE/en/booking-tgv#TravelWish

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

14:17 tomorrow it leaves Nimes, I can’t find my train number leaving Nimes to book a reservation, different ones, train switch would be very fast. 

That’s TGV 9708, departing Barcelona Sants at 1033, arriving Paris 1718.

It arrives in Nîmes at 1417 and departs at 1421. There’s availability via the B-europe link above.

Badge

Thx you my phone has 2% battery 

Badge

It’s 9708

Badge

10:33

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

That €20 reservation should be available until the train is completely full.

If you want to double-check the train’s full itinerary, you can but the details into bahn.de/en, and it will give all the stops and timings.

Badge

Thanks for all the help guys, you’re awesome. Hey Ralderton when I replied figured that was hoping for a miracle I was replying to AI_G. I hadn’t read your response to me. You nailed my train, it is the 10:33 train, number 9708 leaving tomorrow. 

I am considering pleading my case to the Conductor because I will be losing my Nîmes to CDG and paying for Nîmes to Gare de Lyon when I had a reservation from Barcelona to Nîmes that could have covered all the way to Gare de Lyon, argh. Should I bother with Spain conductor? 

Can I use my Eurail pass to go from CDG to Gare du Nord, I know the RER (I believe it’s called) goes there. Or Gare de Lyon to CDG using RER? 
I guess I am asking can I use the RER with Eurail pass? I have a few extra travel days left. My vacation is almost over. Not positive it’s the RER.

Cheers, Brian

Badge

I couldn’t find a reservation from Nimes to Gare de Lyon on train 9708, different train number, rookie here. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Since the train is fully run by SNCF it will be French staff from Barcelona. Frankly I've had good and bad experience so feel free to try but they're not particularly nice with tourists... Nîmes - Paris is not a 15 min journey either.

Barcelona - Nîmes costs 25€ and Barcelona - Paris 35€ so they could argue that you're trying to cheat the system.

A second unit is added in Perpignan. Both units have available seats. https://travel.b-europe.com/Eurail-GE/en/booking-tgv#TravelWish lets you choose which train.

The RER is not included : tickets from the airport cost around 12€.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

There's definitely availability for that train between Nîmes and Paris.

There are two trains listed with the same departure time. This is the two separate units mentioned above. If you click on the +i icon, you'll see that the second one is the correct train number - the unit that's come from Spain.

Use the b-europe website I posted above to find the reservation

Badge

Thx so much, do you give it much hope the Conductor might let us stay on the Train instead of getting off in Nimes if we don’t buy reservations? Such a piss off we already bought two reservations x 2 people. I realize we might have to switch seats.

What if we stay on the Train without talking to the Conductor? Play the Canadian didn’t know any better, lol. 

Cheers, Brian

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

You should be able to cancel your other reservation: all SNCF reservations are flexible until the departure date, except any booking fees. You might also be able to book a Barcelona-Paris reservation all the way for €35 pp (+€2 pp on the Interrail portal), and cancel the existing Barcelona-Nîmes one.

Badge

Thx Ralderton I found my train number leaving Nice doing what you suggested. 

Badge

I paid 27 euros per person from Barcelona to Nimes and from Nimes to CDG 12 euros per person.

I show from Barcelona to Gare du Lyon at 27 euros per person, unless I am mistaken with prices, I can’t be cheating the system.

Cheers, Brian 

Badge

On Eurail.com

Badge

Sorry Ralderton leaving Nimes not Nice.

Badge

I was looking at cancelling all my reservations are in French. Argh

Badge

It appears Barcelona to Nimes may not have any reservations available? So I would keep that reservation as is. 

If I could cancel Nimes to CDG it would help cover the cost of reserving Nimes to Gare du Lyon. How do you cancel? The reservation is completely in French. 

Thx Brian 

Badge

I do see now the reservation from Barcelona to Gare du Lyon is more expensive than Barcelona to Nimes, my apologies!