Solved

Residence Visa in Passport sufficient Eurail proof?

• 24 February 2024
  • 4 replies

Hi,

I have an Irish passport but have lived in China for over ten years. I’ll be arriving into the UK and staying for just under 2 months this summer. I’ll be travelling within the UK/Ireland and throughout Europe over those 2 months, so the 15 travel day Eurail pass looks perfect for my needs. But I’m wondering if the Chinese residence visa within my Irish passport will be sufficient proof of residence in China? I have about 5 consecutive years of residence visas within my current passport. The only other official Chinese IDs I have are my university teacher card and foreign expert certificate, neither of which have a Chinese address on them. I do also have the rental certificate for my apartment, but it’s entirely in Chinese. 

Cheers for any advice,

Ben

icon

Best answer by rvdborgt 24 February 2024, 10:39

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

The residence visa in your passport should be enough, since it's government-issued.

Great, thanks for the reply.

I’ve actually just learned that I can just get an interrail with my Irish passport and can travel freely for fifteen travel days in europe and UK/Ireland. So as it’s cheaper I guess I’ll do that. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

You can only travel on a maximum of two travel days in Ireland if you choose Interrail.

The price is the same for Interrail and Eurail.

You should buy an Eurail pass with China as country of residence. 

You can only travel on a maximum of two travel days in Ireland if you choose Interrail.

The price is the same for Interrail and Eurail.

You should buy an Eurail pass with China as country of residence. 

Two days in Ireland would be enough for me. 

I would buy the Eurail except there doesn’t seem to be a definitive answer on what a valid proof of residence for China is even from the Eurail representative I spoke to, who said that a visa isn’t proof of residence (though I’m waiting for clarification back as to whether he understood I had a residence visa with residence written on it in English in my passport or whether he thought I had a tourist visa).

Ah, I see the price is the same now: on one site it was showing Eur and on the other $.