Solved

Residency proof; Irish passport but resident of Qatar. Do I qualify for Eurail?

• 31 January 2022
  • 4 replies

• Keeps calm and carries on
  • 11 replies

Hi All,

I will be travelling around Italy in April.

I have an Irish Passport but I am resident in Qatar.

Do I qualify for Eurail?

If yes, is my national ID Card (Qatar ID) enough for proof of residency? 

Thanks,

Paul.

icon

Best answer by rvdborgt 31 January 2022, 08:15

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

If you live outside of Europe, then you qualify for Eurail. On the train, nobody will ask proof of residency but if your Qatar ID shows you live in Qatar, that would be proof indeed.

Thank you 😀

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

The OFFical rule is you must have stayed in that other country for at least 6 monthes. This always means you must have some kind of local registration, work permit or whatever is used there, not just a tourist stay. If (very rare to happen) you hit a special anti-fraud team for the checks on a train, they may ask and you have to satisfy them in this respect. In practice -if it happens at all- its mostly if you travel a lot in your own country, which InterRail does not allow!

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

The OFFical rule is you must have stayed in that other country for at least 6 monthes.

This is not mentioned anymore in the conditions of use. You just need to be able to prove residency.

This always means you must have some kind of local registration, work permit or whatever is used there, not just a tourist stay. If (very rare to happen) you hit a special anti-fraud team for the checks on a train, they may ask and you have to satisfy them in this respect.

That has never happened to me on the dozens of Interrail tours I made. Have you heard about such checks?