Solved

Should I activate before the trip?

Hi,

I have a 2-month pass and not sure whether I should activate the pass before my trip. I saw a question about activating pass to early, and the answer mentioned ‘the first day of the validity period is automatically made a travel day’. Thus, I wonder is the activation day the same as ‘start day of the validity of the pass’. I am now in the activation process and not sure whether I should activate it or not. If I can choose an extra start day, then I guess it would be better to activate before the trip because some seat need reservation. 

Thank you in advance!

icon

Best answer by rvdborgt 1 July 2022, 16:49

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

It is always better to make the Seat RES-if needed at all-there are often many ways to escape them by using slower trains- via other ways as has been published here many times.By contacting the railways direct. This is also cheaper and gives less stress due to faulty app.

You do not need in most cases to have activated pass to do that (ESpana excepted-but thats a PITA anyway)

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

You don't need to activate your pass to be able to make seat reservations.

During the activation process, when you choose the start day of the validity of the pass, the first day of the validity period is automatically made a travel day, even if you don't enter a journey, the advice is therefore not to activate the pass before the first travel day as you only can deactivate the pass before 00.00 on the day the validity starts. If your travel plans change in the last moment you will loose travel days if you have activated the pass in advance.

It can be wise to make a test and activate the pass with a start date well in the future and then deactivate the pass immediately, just to see that everything works.